Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis Protection

tony toole

First thing to do is to search the archives. There have been plenty of previous TechTalk threads about this. Waxoyl is a very popular choice (certainly works for me.) Some people recommend thinning it (white spirit, I think), I just brush it on neat. Stops the rust in its tracks. If you want to repair, you need to sand down the excess rust, make sure you peel off all the flaking paint/powder coat until you get back to very sound paint and metal. Put some rust treatment (Trustan, or similar) on the rust that's left, clean this off, degrease and clean thoroughly. The recommended touch up paint from previous threads is one of the Hammerite paints but I can't remember which. I, however, use a zinc-rich primer (two coats) followed by two or three coats of black chassis paint. Then apply waxoyl liberally. I did this on my rear chassis tubes about two years ago and it still looks good.

I think the key in all cases is thorough preparation. Attack the rust well, clean the surface well, follow good practice when applying the paints.

Anthony