Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Clouted rear n/s wheel

Blokko

My first posting here on Tech Talk, so please go easy with this one...

As per my earlier post on Chit Chat here (hit a track kerb at right angles to the rear nearside wheel, causing some ‘toe in‘ that needs correcting), I’m now trying to get the car back to roadworthy condition before our planned week in The Lakes in a couple of weeks.

I’ll order a 1.5 degree De-Dion ear tomorrow and get it fitted asap (earlier post from Alex Wong seems pretty straightforward). My only concern is that the toe-in seems more than just that caused by the cracked De-Dion ear. The De-Dion tube itself looks fine - no noticeable cracks in the weld or any bending. Where it looks to me as thought there might be a problem is in the plate at a right angle off the De-Dion tube that links to the De-Dion ear (by the two bolts near the brake calliper). I’m finding it very difficult to judge if there is an issue with all of the components in-situ.

Any ideas on how I take this forward? I was thinking of just getting the new ear in place and then seeing how that looks (can I even do this ‘by eye‘ or do I need to get a 4 wheel alignment)? Would I be better off taking the De-Dion tube out and then getting it checked over (possibly by Arch)??

Trying to cover all bases here, is it feasible that the plate off the end of the De-Dion could be bent? If so, is it reparable, or are we into the realms of replacement?

Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy

Steve,

If you've cracked the Ear you've almost cetainly bent the DD. Under similar circumstances to what you describe I've twice seen the DD bent even without visible damage to the ear. I would just replace it straight off, or at least remove it and get Arch to check it if you're local.

Paul

Bad news Steve ☹️, I would have thought the same as Paul, enough impact to damage the ear could have damaged the tube, might be best for it to come out and get checked over. A new one is just over £200 I think, a bit far to go to Arch for you too. Blat mail me if you need a hand with anything, although I go on holiday for a week this Friday.

BRG and Yellow nose VU06 XZX

• Area Representative

Steve,

I clouted some armco barrier at Loton Park last year.

I broke a wheel and snapped the ear, but the DeDion tube was OK.

I guess it depends on how you hit the kerb.

I'd give it a go replacing just the ear first.

Many thanks for your comments.

James, good to meet you @ Mid Staffs. I hope to start the stripdown tonight so I’ll contact you for assistance if I get stuck.

Paul, Richard and Mark, I’m pretty well sure that the tube is bent so I’ve ordered one from CC (along with a new ear and bolt set). Although the ear is cracked, I just can’t see it accounting for the degree of camber that I’m experiencing. If the original tube is ok I can always keep it as a spare, or offer it up for sale.

Alex, tracking gauge will be most useful. I wasn’t totally happy with the setup of the tracking before (slightly uneven wear on the front nearside), and it looks as if I’ve knocked it out a bit more with my grass cutting expedition (should still be driveable). The guys with me at Curborough thought that the misalignment on the front was tracking rather than anything being bent (lets hope they are right). Could I give you a shout when I’ve got the De-Dion sorted out with a view to getting across to you to check the tracking / camber please?

The guys with me at Curborough thought that the misalignment on the front was tracking rather than anything being bent (lets hope they are right)

Can't remember if I posted this on your other thread before, but check the clearance on both front wheels between the steering arm (on the upright) and the discs. It's relatively easy to bend these (you'll spot the difference in gaps) and I think if there's any damage, it's likely to be here.

Fairly cheap (£30/40?) and easy fix.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Parts arrived today *thumbup* so I removed the hub / driveshaft - the ear disintegrated as I detached it from the tube, so I’m very glad that I was trailered back rather than trying to drive home.

Bad news - the De-Dion is bent, so more work and more expense than I’d hoped for 😔. If you put the new ear against the plate on the end of the tube it is easy to see that the two surfaces do not mate up cleanly 🙆🏻.

The saga continues…

Got the DD out, but struggled getting it all back together properly. The tube itself was fine, but I had a right old game reconnecting the brake lines and then replacing / bleeding the brake fluid. I guess that as a total newbie to this stuff I can’t expect to sort things as quickly as you seasoned campaigners out there!

Anyhow, onto the next issue. Where I’m struggling is with an intermittent noise that is now coming from the engine bay. It sounds like it is coming from around the alternator, but I can’t see anything obviously wrong. The sound is most noticeable from underneath (with my head near the rad). From this position it sounds like a ball bearing rattling around in the sump!

This has got me worried (really jumpy about even starting the engine) as I can’t work out if I’ve got a serious mechanical issue, or something more mundane like a component external to the main engine block having shifted slightly and vibrating.

Any suggestions for things to check for before getting a mechanic involved? Coolant and oil levels are fine - nothing deposited onto the garage floor.

Does the noise increase and in time with the revs 🤔 If you suspect the alternator remove the belt, start the engine and see if the noise is still present. Unlikely, but check your exhaust is not resting on the side skin as this happens when the N/S engine mount fails.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*