Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Is my clutch slipping ??

Mark P

I have recently purchased a 1.8 Superlight privately. Last night when I went for only my second blat, I noticed that the revs seem to stay very high when changing up the gears. I previously owned a 1.4 k series with a five speed box, and now have the delight of a 6 speed, however, if I accelerate hard, then the revs don't seem to drop that much in between gear changes, and then and when I press the loud pedel more the revs tend to stay high at about 6000 without moving, until I change gear again.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, but the only assumption I can come to is that it is either the clutch slipping, the wheels spinning (i wish) or something to do with the LSD.

I sorry to post what is probably a very basic question, but you advice woul dbe welcome.

I've always been told to to the following to test clutch slipage:

While driving, use the brake pedal when accellerating lightly and see if the revs increase, if they do when braking then the clutch is slipping, if the revs die etc then its biting and therefore the clutch isnt sliping...

What does the rest of the world think of this technique?

Sean

The original 1400 K Series Roadsport Prototype

My Caterham Website

Will check all of the above later and post the results. The car was pretty standard from Caterham, so I don't think that it could have any non std flywheels etc. Peter I'll give you a call on your mobile if I need to thanks.

I had exactly the same problem.It was due to:

1) dodgy accelerator cable

2) curvation of the accelerator cable

3) throttle body linkage

4) engine mapping

Replaced the acclerator cable

Rerouted the acclerator cable

Cleaned up the linkage

Got the engine remapped.

Now perfect!