Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A021 pressures

Violet Elizabeth

Getting my new wheels/tyres today (to work, beats a CD from Amazon anyday !) and was wondering...

Apart from bunging her up on the axle stands and swapping the wheels over, do I need to check/change/do anything else ?

Any pressure recommendations for 185/70 A021s ? 20psi seems suitable from previous posts..

I now have 4 prisoners that need the silver "stuff" re-stuffed as it is flaking off. Is there a technical term for this so I can do a search ?

Ta very much.

So glad the weather is rubbish so I can try out the standing water performance tonight sad.gif

I can't think of anything, except perhaps the wheel nuts. What kind of wheels do you currently have? Are you certain that the wheel nuts are suitable for the new wheels? I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but I have a suspicion that wheel nuts and wheels have to match in some way. I think the chamfer angles on the nut and where the nut snuggles up to the wheel have to match and also if the new wheels have a "thinner" seat you need to make sure the nuts can tighten all the way without fouling on the end of the stud.

...and as for pressures, 20psi (cold) seems fine. Reading earlier threads, anything from 12psi to 26 psi seems OK so it must be down to personal preference :-) I used to use about 20psi (cold) when I had these tyres in this size.

Anthony

Edited by - ashaughnessy on 26 Apr 2002 11:48:34

I went from Prisoners to Superlites with the 021 185 70 13 a couple of months ago. No problem with nuts (or at least none yet). Have found a mass of slightly different advice re pressures. Currently working on 19 back and 18 front, but a couple of psi here or there is probably beyond my perception when driving. A recent thread seemed to be suggesting 16!

James

Blue book rule is to have 1.5 times the diameter of the thread, engaged by the nut. So 10mm thread requires at least 15mm to be engaged within the nut when tight. More thread is of course OK, less *could* be construed as dangerous.

I'm not sure if there is a minimum legal requirement for road use, but common sense says that you have as much thread as possible engaged in tightening the wheel nuts.

Don't run 12psi on a long high speed trip you risk over heating the tyre or under extreme cornering a de-rimming (is that a word?)

17 psi is prudent. Harder and car seems to bounce about.

Check them often as a drop from 17 psi will put you in the danger zone for a Radial tyre.