I have just check the box of a new filter CC midlands supplied me

UFI 23 118 00

Cross Ref list printed on Box shows

FIAAM FT4763

FRAM PH2874

MANN and HUMMEL W77

PUROLATOR PC603

TECHNOCAR R15

As the cooler fits above the filter fitting I would guess filter is the same on 200 and 260

Mav, have a chat with Nick at CC Midlands, for track day use you will be better with a cooler.

Another point, make sure that the oil filler cap is secured with a wire to prevent it coming lose. I had a rather scary experience at donny when oil splashed on to the exhaust primaries as a result of the filler cap coming lose.

Darren

Edited by - Darren Harrold on 17 Aug 2007 19:39:11

Well I've just taken 6.5 litres of oil out of the car (including what was in the catch tank). Replaced the filter with a Fram PH2847 which is identical to the UFI filter that was previously fitted, even down to the colour.

the genuine ford item is slightly taller than the other two, and looks slightly different inside. there is no 'springy bit' in the ford one.

I used just over 5 litres to fill to *just* over the flat machined on the dipstick. I'll see how we get on and report back.

Thanks for all your help so far 😶‍🌫️

what oil did you go with Mav ? - another unquantified Duratec variable *smile*

The original ford spec for an unmodified engine is 0w/20, I'm using 5w/40 but I think that is too thick.

Dave

ps - trust it didnt spit back at 5L ? , I'd give it 0.25L untill it does *biggrin*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

I've gone with the 5w50 comma motorsport as that seems to be what is recommended by CC and Minister, and in the engine handbook issued by Cosworth...

No idea about spit back as I;ve not driven it, however i did run it up to temp, and it seems no oil was spat out as yet. I'll top it up gradually until a little does get dumped.

Thanks for your help *thumbup*

*wavey*Having seen what happens when an overfilled K series dry sump system (bell housing tank) does to the immediate environment I think I'll park well away from you. The last time I was within spraying distance. Interestingly at Spa as well. *rolleyes*

Edited by - Mick Day on 18 Aug 2007 20:10:23

Wow! Three pages of stuff just to change some oil 😬

Mic *thumbup*

Thanks for posting that. It prompted me to have a look in my Duratec notes. I found a Ford publication, probably later than yours, dated April 2002 that states that max bulk oil temperature for the Duratec is 150 degrees C. Even higher than the data you have. This is with 5/30 oil. I personally use anything from 0/30 to 10/40 but haven't used any oils that go to 50 since the early '90's.

As for fitting an oil cooler to reduce the temeperature from 100 to a mere 80 degrees, my opinion is that this is wrong. I would be happier to run my temperature at 100 than 80 degrees C. 100 degrees C is not a high oil temperature. It is pretty normal. By all means fit an oil cooler if you are reaching 130 degrees continuously but up to 100/120 degrees is OK in my opinion if you use the correct lubricant. And that is still a lot lower than Ford say for this engine.

AMMO

Well, I can confirm that with the water/oil oil cooler, the temperature very rarely gets much higher than around 80 in give and take road use, which does seem a little low to me. The benefit is that at least the oil will warm up a little quicker with the rad. water to help. I don't know whether there is any kind of thermostat in the oil cooler, which can be reset to open at a higher temperature?

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

with my CSR-200 and an EUR4 mapping and an oil cooler (water) I have the following temp readings, centigrade

oil 90-100

water 75-100

on the higway at approx 130-140 km / hr and air temps of 25 centigrade I am on the lower end of the above figures and in town and stop and go traffic on the higher end.

rgds

Hanns Per

Hanns Per KOBER

blatting the alps in a CSR 200

www.hannsperkober.at/caterham.html