Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starters again

GTD

1.8 K Supersport - 4 into 1 Caterham exhaust

Did a track day at Castle Combe on Monday, the last session got the 'K series click of death' . And only a couple of weekes after having had the starter stripped and fettled as per Tech Talk advice.

So if I give up on this starter motor - is there an alternative starter motor that is not going to leave me asking for a push start every time at Spa on Bank Holiday Monday?

G for Geoff

• Support Team

The "Caterham Race Starter", a Bosch unit, has been serving me very well for the last couple of years but you may struggle to fit it with a 4-1 exhaust. I believe Angus took a hammer to primay number 4 to make some clearance - I took the more expensive route of fitting a 4-2-1 VHPD exhaust.

One thing to check is your engine earth - I had a starting problem which turned out to be the earth strap from the battery to the bellhousing had come loose. You should also check the earth strap from engine to chassis on the front drivers side of the engine.

Another thing you could try is renewing the wire to the solenoid (the thin wire). Strip back the harness as far as you can and cut away the old wire - attach a length of new, thicker wire using a crimp connection plus solder and then make sure the attachment to the solenoid is good and tight.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

The thing that puzzles me about this click of death problem is it is so intermittant. I get it occasionaly, the last time at a petrol station just before Snetterton , which required a push. At Snetts the car started everytime and has been no problem since. I suppose it has happened about 5 times now. Usually if I keep clicking the starter button it eventually starts especially if i relent into a Basil Fawlty " Start you bastard...." style rant. 😬

perhaps it would be a useful addition...?

Additional component to fail in my case...

The car started first time after a three-week layup. Hadn't tried since garaging it on return from Norway. Odd - because when I tried to restart in the petrol-station where I bought a carton of milk at around 3AM on the way home from the ferry, I got absolutely nothing...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

And within 24 hours the right starter motor turned up - it's not shown on the Parts Website, but they do 'the old k series one'that fits 2002 kits with 4 into 1 exhausts.

Might have been a wait to get through on the phone, but well worth it! *thumbup*

I have been to Caterham today to get a new starter as I also had the "click of death".

He sold me a new type which has the solenoid enclosed in the motor housing and does not require a spacer either. I hope its an improvement as the old one was only 3yrs old.

C7 BLK Mem no 10929