Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Kumho Tyre Problems...

rgrigsby

I seem to remeber Simon had some problems with a Kumho tyre earlier in the year, was it anything like this?

That's after one dry track day at Anglesey, I'll have a chat with Kumho tomorrow and see what they think but I'm off to Spa on Sunday so need to try and get it sorted by then! 😳 the tyre is a 205 in hard compound.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Rob

As Mark says I have had the exact same problems with my medium rears. One or two people had a lesser problem with their soft fronts.

The problem occurred after my first track day at Llandow. However I only noticed it on one tyre prior to Pembrey TDay. I ran the whole day with the tyres with no problems.

Both tyres went back to Kumho MSport and I have had one replacement. The other was returned as "fit for purpose". The one exchanged was much much worse than yours and the one I retained. I could clearly see the canvas.

The problem is I am told with one or two individuals at the factory in Korea who are being protected by the unions. Basically they are not applying the adhesive at the time they are laid up! But the unions wont allow an investigation.

After Pembrey I spoke in depth with Kumho MS (Mark Hamnet) who absolutely assured us that they were safe. I questioned the scenario of a Scrutineer spoting the split and even with a letter saying it is safe he would be justified in saying sorry - no way!

So Mark Hamnet suggested that he speak to the MSA directly to point out clarify proove etc that they are "safe". Apparantly it is not an uncommon problem with many brands "race tyres". So I am told.

However the soft fronts have all closed up after further use. And so further problems have not been an issue.

I received my replacement and my returned tyre prio to Oulton Park Track Day and the replacement looks just like yours. The original which has now done 3 track days. (You know how hard they will have been driven) is identical!

So basically it would appear it will not get worse. The one they changed opened up to the canvas imediately. The other opened but di not deteriorate.

I can not and will not advise you to use the tyre for obvious reasons.

However. I had the same problems and having accepted the Manufacturers explanation continued to use the tyres and their explanation has been justified.

I was imediately put at ease when they suggested that they speak to the MSA. They would not have wanted this if there was a real issue.

Oh by the way. It only seems to hapen to those of us who shall we say TRY HARD 😬

Giving it some Welly. As Always!

Ohhh that looks bad *eek*

I wouldnt fancy driving on track at 130mph with that tyre problem even if the maker does say its Ok.

[rummages around the desk draw for a tube of glue to send the 2 blokes on the line]

edited to say "wouldnt" not would *rolleyes*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 16 Aug 2007 10:15:24

I agree with Dave J.

My fronts do not look as bad as they did so less worried. also for a 60 sprint feel it is not going to be a problem. I would not like to be traveling at 100 mph on a tyre i was unsure on. I did take mine to to MOT station and they said they were fine and would only fail (MOT) if the canvers was showing.

David

Been on the phone to a few guys at Kumho today, have to say I've been very impressed. Had a very quick response from the technical guy there and then as soon as I sent the pictures in they immediatly said they weren't happy with it and would get me a replacement out straight away. It'll be with me by courier tomorrow 😬

*thumbup* *thumbup* for Kumho Motorsport!

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com