Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Caterham's standard brake compound?

danwhiley

OK folks, so I've searched thoroughly and still can't seem to find an answer.

Does anyone have any idea what brake pads I might have fitted on my car? It's a new 1.6K roadsport with everything bog-standard as it came down from Caterham Midlands November last year. After three highly entertaining track days and a few thousand road miles, the stopping power just doesn't seem the same any more. Brake bleeding helped some, but still not the great bite I had for a short, yet enjoyable, while.

Unfortunately Caterham themselves are not helping much - the calipers are "the standard ones" and the brakes are the "ones for the road". Hmmmm...

I've heard that they usually fit Mintex pads, but not sure which compound. I've checked the pads and can't see anything obvious ("Mintex M1122" or similar is most definitely NOT written anywhere I can see). I obviously don't want to replace the pads with more of the same, so knowing the starting point would be really helpful.

While I'm here - can anyone recommend a good supplier of brake pads around west or southwest London?

Dan.

Hi, from recent postings I have been looking at a site for rimmer bros as they supply triumph leyland parts and it seems that most 7's have parts from spitfires front suspension and brakes, my car is a 1990 1700ss but I believe thay are still the same but I would advise to take a pad with you when you go to buy them and I think Partco do Mintex of the shelf.

The site is www.rimmerbros.co.uk good luck

The general opinion seems to be that Mintex 1144 are great for road and light track usage for caterhams in the lower range of power etc

I have a 1400rs and take it in track once a month-ish and the pads are absolutely fine - no reason to change to EBC Green stuff etc

Sean

The original 1400 K Series Roadsport Prototype

My Caterham Website

Dan

According to Caterham they supply Mintex 1202's (road pad) for the front but I think the rears are unbranded

I've just gone ot Mintex 1155's and I know some people recommend EBC Red Stuff. The 1155's performed very well at Colerne earlier this week. You might also want to cconsider upgrading the brake fluid to AP600

Mntex 1144's are possibly a good compromise

Good supplier are Questmead http://www.questmead.co.uk/2001/

they do next day mail order and are very competitive

Mark

Oh this cheers me up so much to see that it's not just me that can't work out what's slowing the car down! smile.gif

I'm going up to Leicester this weekend, so I'll see if pointing something sharp at Derek Moore helps get a more useful response.

Thanks for the thoughts so far - it's looking like a tight race to the finish line between 1202 and 1144. I might even be rather silly and get 1122 for hillclimbs, 1144 for blatting and 1155 for races / trackdays. How about that for excessive? Think I'm getting into this tweaking thing now...