Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series - Wolverine gasket

Red Line Components

FYI - K series 18,000 miles

Routine oil change has revealed that the wolverine gasket had begun to break down resulting in lots of small debris threatening to partially block the oil pick-up (wet sump) and a couple of larger bits which could have almost covered the pick-up completely - which would be bad news.

Probably worth a good inspection and replacement at next change ?

No dont be daft , how could it possibly be an ocelot !!! , they only appear in the differential casing , it is a woverline .

Or is jonathon Woss now working at caterham and tried to tell you its a rover line - try your main dealer wink.gif

Thank god for fridays .............

Edited by - Dave J on 26 Apr 2002 14:44:55

I have just completed a complete rebuild on an engine that suffered this failure. There was damage in the mains and it would not have lasted much longer. A piece had broken off and was threatening to stop the oil supply exactly as you describe. The aluminium baffle plate had broken through at one of the fixing points and I put down the gasket failure to this flapping around and causing damage.

If you want more details contact me off line. I have a costed breakdown for a bottom end rebuild and may be able to help in obtaining parts at good prices.

After replacement of foam, filter and wolverine gasket, I added 4 l of oil, started the engine, stopped it and decided to check the level using the dip stick, just to find that it was broken at the level of the small notch. Too bad!

Should I take the sump out again to retrieve the broken part!

the dip stick is past the foam filter if it was me i think i would try and drain oil once more it may come out if not i think you wont be happy till you know it is out

fredid=blue> biggrin.gif

Thanks Fred.

Yes I would not have been happy with this plastic thing in the sump. It would not come out with the oil. So I took the sump off. While I was struggling under the car with oil dripping etc. ,I saw the damned thing at two feet from my face... on the ground. Next time, I shall first clean very thoroughly the floor before starting !

On Monday I shall go to my Rover dealer to buy a new dip stick. it is a standard Rover part?

pierre i dont think it is a rover part

because it is a caterham sump on the engine

you better get it from caterham or take with you the old one

to compare good luck

fredid=blue> biggrin.gif