Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harnesses and boot cover

SJL

Does anyone have suggestions on whether its best to bolt harnesses directly thru the boot cover thus fixing it permanently in place or to cut out segments from the cover so it can be easily detached

Caterham seem to use sail eyelets to tidy up holes in the cover and bolt straight thru - I've got some of these but don't have a "durable dot" type tool to rivet them - has anyone tried this approach ?

Sorry for the rambling but keen to make this job neat - its quite visible

I can only say that in twelve years of ownership, I've never wanted or needed to remove the boot cover except when fitting my harness.

I fitted the harness by removing the metal stiffening strip, bolting the harness underneath the cover and stretching the cover over the bolts, but this isn't very neat.

Anthony

I agree with V7 - leave the metal strip in place - this is by far the easiest way to get a tidy job. There is simply no need to ever remove the boot cover.

One other point - make sure you use the correct mounting holes for the harnesses - equally spaced either side of the seat - it will be obvious which holes to use. If you have the FIA bar fitted this may cause grief on the passenger side with the leftmost bolt - you will need to slightly shorten it to be able to screw it in whilst still making it long enough to go all the way through the top rail - something MSA scrutineers often check on sprints etc.

Caterham supply the durable dot fitting tool with the car/boot cover/tonneau kit

Hope this helps.

Brian

It's quite simple, just cut a small apature in the metal strip around the harness mounts, and you can remove the boot cover, which you will have to a some stage, as well as having the harnesses fitted, why bolt through the metal strip ?