Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.8vvc

jsb

Keep the VVC cams, get some roller barrels or DTH tb and a emerald have everything map, and here it is you have a more powerful VVC with lots of torque. And a big 😬 on your face.

It woill be what CC advertised as a VVC-R conversion

PP has one and I'm surely have one very soon (hopefully *confused*...)

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Edited by - jackb_ms on 8 Aug 2007 09:16:38

PowderPuff and I both put uprated VVC engines in our cars recently.

PP: kept cams and VVC stuff. ECU remapped. LIght porting of head and roller-barrels. Gave 180bhp.

Me: ditched cams and VVC stuff. 285H cams. Emerald ecu. No porting. Roller-barrels. 190bhp.

Cost wise mine was probably about £1000 more (emerald and cams), but with some porting I should see myself above 200bhp fairly easily.

We both have a 'trophy 160' engine which has slightly stronger pistons as standard. However I think I'll be on about the limit of what they can handle right now, so I'll need to include new pistons if I do go in search of more go-go...

Madball,

Rob Walker in Bristol should be able to help you out with your upgrade to.. he did my work for me.

I'm VERY happy with the upgrade. The car is a lot quicker now, and sounds lovely with the rollerbarrels. I added an R500 flywheel at the same time. If you do go the 285H cams route I have 1 cam sitting around that I'm happy to sell on at a good price... 😬 😬

If you are going to change the cams... go the whole hog plus changing to solid tappets.

Torque/narrow power band is not an issue with such a light car and the VVC head is ideal for porting.

If you are going to throw money at the engine, then take Peter's advise and get it ported.

Efficiency makes for cheaper power than blank cheques and the Rover casting certainly could do with a "little" help from your friends.

I have a pair of 1227 cams for a VVC head sitting in the pitlane, which gave me 222 bhp if you are interested.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Thanks for all the help *thumbup* Having talked to DVA its looking like 4K Is it worth it 🤔 what about exhaust Caterham recommend VHPD race system 🤔.

John

Roadsport SV 160

HW 05 APV [formally:DD 02 CAT]

Just completed the VVC 'solid cam conversion' via the DVA route.

V E R Y pleased with the results, the quality of work at DVA is exceptional and well documented here. It is also a good opportunity to check (& correct if necessary) things like liner heights, that is assuming you remove the head of course, it would be rude not to really wouldn't it 😬

Whilst I have not done it yet, remenber that to get the most out of the upgrade it is sensible to budget for a new exhaust & rolling road session. Fortunately the base maps that Dave has are very good and hence you can get away with it if you run out of cash !!

Good luck .........

Hi Simon,

Did you polish & port the head? I see you live in Cheshire not to far from me, do you ever get to the North Wales meets?

John

Roadsport SV 160

HW 05 APV [formally:DD 02 CAT]

The VVC-R upgrade to the 160 trophy engine, whilst not as powerful as going the full hog with emerald and rolling road session, doesn't preclude going further in the future.

represents about 15% increase in power and I can't remember what caterham's quoted price was for it, but less than 4k. You can always spend the rest to go to 200bhp later if you need to - the roller barrels are a large chunk of the cost in both cases anyway.

John,

We were removing the head anyway (long story !!) so yes Dave did do some porting for me, I think this depends on how far you want to go. If you are intending to remove the head then I would go for it, we also fitted Piper valve springs to allow for a later change of cams to BP285 if I get the urge for more go !! (currently 964 profile fitted).

One of the good things about doing it this way is that you can carry out a few 'fixes', mods & upgrades (at a cost obviously) that will hopefully also improve the reliability of the engine for you - this was important for me.

Busy for the next 2/3 weeks but happy to meet up after that if you fancy a blat to compare the two, could be a bit of fun !!!

Cheers,

Simon