Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where's the filler for the 6 sp box then?

AndrewD

I want to check the oil level in my box but have absolutely no idea where the filler is (I know you have to open it with a modified allen key but that's about all).

Do I need to take the padded top off the transmission tunnel or is it accessible in the engine bay?

Thank you

Andrew

Yellow SLR T777XXX

Well Andrew you need to get yourself under the car and take a look up. The filler plug is about half way along the gearbox casing , that is from the bellhousing to the prop end and it,s about half way up on the drivers side. Yes you will need a trimmed down allen key I think it,s a 15mm. This is a good one to skin your knuckles!!!

The build manual advice is to cut down a 10mm allen key and use that to open the filler. Personally, I use the short bit that I cut off. I can slide a 10mm ratchet spanner over it, or use an adjustable to start to undo. Much better than the allen key.

You should also try and check the oil level with the car level. In order to do this, and gain access from underneath, I stick the whole car up on axle stands. I dare say if you have a pit or lift access, then on its wheels is level enough.

Then there is the fun of actually filling it , warm the oil on the house radiators , and poke a long section of 10mm tube onto the casing hole , attach a funnel on the other end , it helps if the car is jacked up on its side .

then put the nut back in the casing and get oil all over your arms , and smell of cats wee for the rest of the weekend .......... thank god its only once per year wink.gif

dave

Andrew,

the top plate is near the front end of the gearbox, so it is accessible from the engine bay. If you have a heater you will have a hose going down (from underneath the heater) and then going backwards. This hose will then be directly on top of the plate, so I don't know how easy it will be to remove it.

Another thing - if you have bare aluminium in the cockpit there should be a hole (covered by a plate) right where the filler hole is.

There isn't a hole by the filler on my car, and I don't think it would make the job easier if there were. I'd have to mess around in the depths of the foot well, whereas all I need to do now is put my specially shaped bit of flexi central heating tube down between the gbox and the footwell from the engine bay, and away I go.

Once the floor panel is out of the boot, I use the pipe there too.