Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VHPD Flat spot

Steve Morris

My VHPD has a bit of a flat spot around 3800rpm and is generally a bit lumpy.

I'm a bit nervous about where to take it. The best advice I've had is either Emerald or Hyperion but they're both quite some distance away.

Which one is the best for this type of work?

Would you use Caterham themselves - either Dartford or Midlands?

Any indication of cost? (I suppose it depends on what the problem is)

Thanks

What ECU do you have?

If 'standard' CC one then I think you need to go to CC (or maybe minister) as you need a code to get into the ECU to re-map. (I believe).

If you have an after market ECU (ie Emerald) then any competent mapping/rolling road place should be able to help. I've used Northampton Motorsport to good effect....

Hi Steve.

Neil makes some good points. I'm taking it the flat spot has appeared, rather than always been there?

I run an SLR on both the Rover MEMs unit and an Emerald and neither of the should give you a flat spot, so something must be amiss. It seems unlikely that the ECU could cause it because it'd mean the fuelling/ignition tables for that point would need to have altered. I'd imagine it's more likely (assuming the problem has recently appeared) that something else may be the culprit, such as HT leads, plugs, interference, a sensor/sensor lead, etc.

If you can give any more info on how it occurs (same RPM range all the time, whether it's consistent and whether it's still there under different throttle loads) then the power of BlatChat may be able to help identify the problem before you take it somewhere, which could save you some time and money.

Best of luck with it and if you're on the original Rover MEMs unit and get the chance to change, go for the Emerald - you won't regret it *smile* *thumbup*

Darren E

Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

It depends on which ECU you have. As the others have suggested if you have the original MEMS then an Emerald makes sense. If you have the later MBE ECU then Steve Greenald @ Track'n'Road is highly recommened. He's in Essex so it's a bit of a trek for you.

Dave

If you have the later MBE ECU then Steve Greenald @ Track'n'Road is highly recommened. He's in Essex so it's a bit of a trek for you.
Not really: Sheffield is only 188 miles. With both Steve's not up & running until 11.00am it's an easy drive assuming the M1/M25 combination doesn't have an off day.