Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

haunted oil pressure gauge

robn

I need someone to sanity check my logic, my R300 oil pressure gauge bounces around then stops, then stabilises, then bounces, sometimes drops off at staionary tickover sometimes doesnt etc etc seems worse when it's hot.

The car is not loosing oil and has done about 1000 miles with these symptons at all sorts of speeds (happened on holiday). So I've check connections, and would conclude either sender or gauge? any words of advice?

regards

Rob

R300YEEEEEEEEEEESS

If it helps, I've just fitted oil temp and pressure guages to an Elise, and NEITHER of them works!

The supplier has been very nice about it and is sending 2 new guages and new senders, plus new wires as the originals were 18" too short the way I wired it.....I was beginning to wonder if the car was jinxed and a remote stat I fitted is causing the water temp to jump up & down from 79° to 90° and back.....so I'm changing that, too. ☹️

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 6 Aug 2007 18:33:40

Robn,

sounds like standard CC oil pressure sender behaviour as it starts to die. They are useless!!! I've had about 3 now, and the last one gave up after about 1 month of use.

So I've gone for a SPA dual oil temp and pressure gauge in the hope that it will prove reliable. Frankly the standard CC sender/gauge combo is worse then useless. What is the point of having a gauge if you can never believe it's readings due to regular failures??

...and really sh1t ones are broken even before fitting....BOTH my Smiths oil temp /pressure guages failed to work from fitting.

They are now both being replaced with new guages and senders, with luck I may be able to get one of each pair to work.... *eek*

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 8 Aug 2007 13:36:50

• 2 weeks later...

Pull the connector off the sender and touch it on the engine to ground it.

With the ignition on, the gauge should read full scale.

I had the twitching gauge when hot and idling. Just replaced the sender today too ! There's a lot of it about.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. new link to photos

The water temp gauge sender on my K 1.8 is in the water rail beside the engine, towards the rear of the engine. Single wire to it !

Don't ground the wrong one !

After 10 years my sender has started to muck about - dropping off on constant rpm to around 2 bar. Change of RPM sorts it out and then it slips down again.

It is not the pressure reg valve as I have an oil pressure switch / light that is 35psi and that never comes on except when I expect it too (before start up and if you nearly stall it).

Fitting a pressure switch is a must IMO as it is a much quicker warning to oil pressure problems and they are reliable (touch wood). Got mine from Think Automotive.

Get a nice big in your face lamp to ensure you see it.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Having replaced my OP sender last weekend, finally got to drive the car in the sunset tonight - to fill it up.

OP on start up 6 bar, normal running and hot with revs 4.5 bar, at idle and hot 2.5 bar.

All much more reassuring *thumbup*