Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cleaning Hare off car underside

Phantom Menace

Ok guys I met a roadkill in the middle of a corner with a car coming the other way and I could stop or avoid in time. This hare was enormous, at first I thought it was a deer. I think there must be a local steriod leak.

So I lost my remote oil pressure sender (Which I have replaced) but I still have fur, blood, guts and bone in my engine compartment gearbox tunnel and back axle area all covered in an engines worth of oil.

How am I going to get this all off of my pride and joy 1.6ss superlight that I only got on thursday!! What a nightmare.

What do I have to scrub and what can I hose down?

cheers

Diced a pigeon (well, half a pigeon to be precise, the other half went over the car, depositing various red bits as it went) through the grille and radiator a few months back. Yuk. Found bits as far back as the back of the plenum.

As Alex says, plenty of soapy water really!

Drove over a pile of horse s**t the other day which pulled the wire off the oil pressure sensor (mild panic as the pressure went to zero), not a pleasant job putting it back on!!

All part of the Seven experience!

NN blush.gif

I can better a hare!

I ran over an already dead fox last Nov on the way to work at 60 mph.

It really slowed the car down as it dragged underneath.

Only a cracked number plate and bits of fox gloop to show for it.

By the drive home it was going rancid..... I could smell it whilst driving.

Pressure cleaned it off (light pressure) amazing how many chunks of flesh there were... Neighbours cat had a field day. Yum yum..

At the weekend got her on the ramps and gave it a really good clean... yuck

Hair and guts everywhere...

I hit a dead Thumper on last year's Haggis Hunt and it stank like you couldn't believe. The only answer was to jet wash it off. I jet washed everything; engine bay, underside of the car (especially where Thumper had caught round the diff area) but I could still catch a whiff every so often for weeks afterwards.

Yuk. I thought of burning V7 at one point.

At least Hares are harmless, I was touring Donegal and was puzzled encounter a wet road on a beautiful spring day entering the sea side town of Killebegs. I caught up with a trailer which was leaking, obviously the source of the wet road. My nose left no doubt that what I was driving over was basically dead fish goo. The smell was unbelivably bad, worse than my mates car sick dog vomit which inhabited an inertia seatbelt reel for some weeks.

Did you get Rolf Harris out to deal with the fox's cracked nose?

Putrifying fox has to be the worst smell one can come across in this country. My dogs found one many years back and I'm still convinced I can smell it lingering around the outbuildings where Dad and I bathed them for a whole weekend!!! Why do dogs always rub themselves in filthy stuff like that?

When out in Oz we approached a dead wombat on the road. My mate had a panic trying to wind the windows up in the truck whilst instructing me to do the same and kill the ventilation fan. Couldn't understand his panic until too late. That smell stuck to everything, worse than the fox!!!!

To remove the hare place your car on 3 ft axle stands and invite the local fox hounds etc around, after all they wont have much to do in the near future!!

I'm surprised Ernie hasn't been on to tell his story of the indecisive squirrel........told as only Ernie can!!

Nifty.

Ohhhh I feel left out now ..... the biggest road kill I have had in the se7en is a Big fat Bumble bee !!!! , smacked me in the goggles right between the eyes .

I couldnt tell if I caught him up , or if we were indeed travelling in the opposite direction teeth.gif.

He was a strange yellow colour inside , similar to arnies car - dripping off my nosewink.gif.

Dave

• 9 months later...