Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil top up

Peter Mears

The 40 part of the specification is the hot viscosity. This is the characteristic of the oil that your engine is relying on when it is hot and you are giving it the beans.

30 will be slightly less suitable for elevated temperatures, but without an oil temp gauge it is a matter of guesswork. Unless someone with specific Zetec experience says otherwise, the 5W30 should be fine. 0W40 would be closer to your original spec oil.

Ford are very specific about oil spec for the Zetec engines, it is currently 5w/30 having changed from 10w/30 early in the Zetec's life due to hydraulic tappet and sticking valve problems according to my local Ford factors. I currently use a 5w/30 semi synthetic in my 2 litre, the pressure is approx. 65 psi at a hot cruise and the temp has yet to go above 70 degrees, the temp sender is in the sump. I don't have an oil cooler fitted, Dunnell told me I would not need one as the temp would never be a problem, my experience so far (800 miles) seems to bear this out but summer has yet to arrive (hopefully).

Paul

The Comma XTech oil (semi synthetic 5/30) specifies "designed for Zetc and other multivalve engines..". I figure if Comma actually name the engine, then it should be OK. I've been putting in in mine and it seems quite happy with it so far.

Dave H

Definately use 5w-30 in a zetec, if you use a higher 'hot' rating ie 40 etc you'll get rattly tappets after its been thrashed, ie a trackday etc, dont know why it rattles if you use mobil 1/castrol RS etc (ie all 0w-40) but it definately does.

I speak from experience, and I now use Shell helix ultra 5w-30 in my 2.0 zetec, no more rattly tappets now.