Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swap: My mint cond Superlight for a BMW Z3

arukum17

Like It !

I think you made atleast 20 peoples Blood Pressure Boil

Board at work ?

Go home early. Doctors Orders.

Have you seen the Weather

In Cheshire it is VERY Sunny, good day for an area meet.

Looking at car though window right NOW

Well it's only 5 days old !

Just wondering...

if you have a seven, a car which gives you maximum thrills but at the same time will give you so much grief if the conditions are less than ideal...

apart from looks - I'm not saying the Z3 is the better looking, but personal taste differs - why would you go for a Z3 over a SLK?

In my view the SLK is a perfect companion to the seven. The latter is raw and brutal while the former is refined and relaxed. Both are cabs but the SLK still have the roof.

I agree SLK is a much neater car, however it is £7,000 to £10,000 more expensive

than the Z3. It gets a bit pointless to have a £25,000 2 seater parked outside your house, which you would only use on evenings / weekends.

I think the Z3 (and 3 series) is a great consumer design for not unreasonable money. However, and I quote: (from a recent issue of CAR) "The BMW is a great car, it's a shame so many thrusting ****ers drive them"

It's 40 grand up here :-(

Have no idea what you are referring to when you say evening/weekend type car. I am picking up mine today (in 3 hours, woo-hoo!), and I plan to use it on a daily basis. It's comfy and got air condition and a roof so what more do I need?

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if there is already a Seven in the garage, I fail to see the point of getting another two seater, that pretends to be some sort of sports car - it isn't. I fancy that a 3 series convertible, with 4 useable seats makes a far better car, just as quick, just as good roadholding [with the sports suspension etc], just as cosseting with all creature comforts, and virtually all for the same price.

Why go for the lesser option, apart from which my personal view is that the Z3 is no looker, the SLK is just so much sharper.

The perfect second car to a Seven, IMHO, has got to be an M3 convertible and, yes, mine is due in July teeth.gif I can't wait...

In most cases a single seater would do for me. For the rest of the time, a 2 seater is enough. I can't see why I should be forced to buy a family car just because my friends need a lift once in a while.

The SLK "pretends to be some sort of sports car but isn't". Have you driven it? I think you would be surprised. Besides a M3 should really be compared to a SLK 32AMG.

Can't see a normal convertible being as quiet as the SLK with it's steel roof.

Plus it wins hands down based on looks.

All that said...the M3 is a great car, so good luck with it Paul :-)

Thanks Tor - I hope I won't be disappointed. Just like a Seven it's one of the only cars that I've ordered on reputation alone, but never driven.

Yes, you rumbled me, I haven't actually driven an SLK, or even a Z3 for that matter. I was assuming that after a Seven virtually all normal "Sports" cars would feel a little bloated.

I do currently have an older style E36 328 convertible which I'm most impressed with, and far from carrying around friends and family, I find the room in the back just great for coats, maps, coffee, shopping etc. I real luxury after a Seven [or even the 21 with its huge boot [trunk!]

Paul, What colour/spec M3 have you ordered ? Carbon black with Imola Red leather looks superb on a convertible!

You wont be disapointed if you've never driven one, I have and they are awesome, as good as tintops get ... 100mph in 11secs in luxury and refinement .. What a way to wind down on the way to the pub after a days blatting in a seven !

James

CATERHAMWEBid=black>

It seems to have got onto chit chat somehow. Thats what happens when you get bored at work wink.gif

James, I was very tempted to go for that combination, but in the end went for the boring Titanium Silver with the Imola red leather interior. I have to say that in the metal, the carbon black with it's slightly bluish overtones looks absolutley stunning, but it is just such a high maintanance colour - in english you have to wash it every bl##dy time you take it out, whereas the silver will take stacks of dirt before it needs a clean. I heard that 75% of BMWs are actually ordered in silver though, that's the prob.