Click here if you are having website access problems ×

noddy tyre question

stephen grant

I've had my 021's for about 4 years or so, during which time they've probably done half a dozen or so track days. I'm now getting moosive understeer on track, which I certainly didn't used to have a year or so ago. The only thing that's changed with my car since my last track day (that i'm aware of) is that i've got possibly 10%-15% more power from the engine.

I'm aware that there are many possible reasons for my understeer and I need to address them systematically. I tried to guage my entry speeds against other caterhams and there didn't seem to be much in it, so I'm not sure that it's entirely bad driving. My question is; could my tyres have 'gone off' through age and heat cycling? There's plenty of tread still, the wear pattern doesn't look unduely worrying and I haven't made any front or rear suspension changes recently.

Thanks in advance

stephen

• Support Team

I found that 21s went off after a few laps - they heat up very rapidly on a hot dry track. If they have survived 6 track days then you weren't pushing that hard *tongue* and maybe the extra power and experience means that now they are overheating. At 4 years old though, the rubber has probably hardened.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

It may be that the issue was always there. It's just with the extra power, you can push your car harder through the exit of the corner which makes the issue look more obvious.

Other obvious things to look for when diagnosing understeer are the thickness of tge front ARB (thicker = greater understeer) and whether you've got a small amount of toe-in

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1800 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

For what it's worth, when i got my car about 4 months ago, it had 4year old 032's ss! I did a couple of track days on them because they still had tread. Its an R400 and i was getting used to the extra power! It understeered like mad and i couldn't wait to get fresh rubber on it!! Now its great!! In my experience old rubber is no good.