Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem: Hood windows turned blue/gray

Setok

My good luck just goes on and on. I just took out the roof after having it in the hood bag for a couple of weeks. I'm almost sure it went in when dry, but there is the tiniest doubt in my mind. Anyway, much to my great disappointment the windows have turned a kind of foggy blue/gray! Visibility, particularly from the rear window, is disturbingly bad and that is before it is steamed up. To add insult to injury, I was completely unable to stretch it on. Three poppers are off at the back with a heavy storm promised for tonight.

What on earth has happened to the hood? Particularly the screens? Is there anything that can be done to bring them back to clear plastic?

---

Kristoffer Lawson

I'll let you know when I have a chance to clean it up. What concerns me is that it doesn't seem like just dirt on the surface but rather that the plastic itself has become coloured. At least it's not something I could easily affect by just rubbing it...

---

Kristoffer Lawson

Thanks Aves - have bought some myself as well (doors were getting very tatty). As SMT notes - it's not cheap, but a lot cheaper than buying two new doors!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1800 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

Now we need Elbow Grease too !!!!!!! 😳

For the L7C newbies - where is the best place to buy that - oh yes, I recall seeing an advert in a recent Low Flying - but only in the .pdf version *thumbup*

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. new link to photos

All the 'clear' bit of my hood and doors are very susceptible to absorbing water and going milky. I have noticed that where rain drops have rested there is a milky spot (and the plastic is slightly swollen). With time the water does disperse and the clarity is restored but I have wondered if a waxing might provide a barrier to reduce the rate the material takes up water.

For soft tops we advise not to clean them with the car, never wash the soft top.

If the roof is cloth I would advise AUTOGLYM hood care kit as this revives the colour and protects it form the weather.

For the roof on a 7 we would advise AUTOGLYM BUMPER CARE as recommended by AUTOGLYM them selves, apply with a sponge and wipe off any excess with a cloth, this allows the material to remain weather proof and flexible.

T CUT contains AMMONIA and this could discolour the plastic window, never use a cream glass cleaner as these are abrasive, always a quality liquid one, cheaper ones contain all sorts of ingredients that may not be ideal for a car window. An example of this, people use things like vinegar as it is a great glass cleaner but it over cleans the glass, the result is that the wipers drag on the dry surface increasing noise, judder and wear.

If your car has a soft window use liquid glass cleaner, if the car has hard glass use either cream or liquid.

Bits from other cars...together at last

IT LIVES I have created a MONSTER

Setok : do not store the hood in the hood bag for long periods especially in cold temperature. If you only use it once or twice a year , it is a good idea to store the car with the hood fitted as it keeps the hood streched ...

since I have observed the above [procedures, the hood has been really easy to fit ...