Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo R888 pressures

Phil G

Dave - from what I know, you're pretty handy behind the wheel and know a thing or two about setup. Would these pressures promote more grip at the rear and therefore potentially contribute to understeer-biased handling? Is that correct? I've understood that lower pressures would give you a larger contact patch and therefore more grip. Personally, (within limits!) I prefer more grip at the front than the back, but that's not everyone's preference. I'm just interested to see if my take on it is correct? I nonetheless assume that you get the fastest times with these pressures (weather conditions depending) so it must work for you.

Is my understanding correct? And would it make any sense to reverse your suggested pressures front-to-rear?

Richard

*smile* the 16/18 is a fairly regular place to start with tire pressures in my experience. If you want to change the handling bias then there are far more effective means of doing this without tweeking little stuff like tyre pressures. If you wnat more oversteer simply add more rear arb and raise the rear of the car, more understeer - simply add more front arb and lower the rear of the car and remove rear arb. Once you finally find the chassis ballance that allows you great turn in, mid corner neutral and corner exit tiny understeer at 90% driving on track then you can tweek the tire pressures to suit the track temperature and optimise.

I stated 16 rear as the rears will heat up more then the fronts and hence all 4 tyres could end up at 21psi hot *biggrin*

I'll be buggared if I can tell the difference between 16 and 18 psi on the road, but 22 psi and 14 psi is noticable *wink*

here is C7 TOP

Hi Dave/Richard,

Thanks for info. I will start with Dave's 18/16 pressures and see how it feels.

'tire' - Dave have you just flown in from the USofA or did I miss the revised OED spelling of tyre? 😬 Reset spell check to English (UK) me thinks.

Cheers Phil

Summer Lightning Haze *tongue*

Would these pressures promote more grip at the rear and therefore potentially contribute to understeer-biased handling? Is that correct? I've understood that lower pressures would give you a larger contact patch and therefore more grip.

'Fraid not - higher pressures give more grip - up until a point. No, I don't understand it either, but I read it in a book on car setup. And "no", I don't know whether "the point" is either. But a couple of psi more in the front gives a bit more front end grip, i.e. reduces understeer. I guess it's also that the fronts usually (?) work less hard than the rears and heat up less, so the hot tyre pressures will be more even front to rear...

Been following the thread after buying some 888's. Can you just confirm that if the temperature raises that one should then reduce the pressure? Gather the 16/14 is at cold. I am doing Croft on Sunday and any helpon tyre pressures welcomed.

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

RiF - Yep, best way really is to use the 16/18 whatever as a cold starting point then check them after a few laps when hot and adjust to the desired pressure all round. Just to confuse things you'll probably find that the left to right temps/pressures will change differently as well!

There was someone (cant remember who) at one of the recent sprints that reconned he was quicker with 26psi *eek*

Class 4 Zetec *cool*

• Area Representative

Phil,

Just had my wheels refurbished and want to shod them with the same make and size, can I be cheeky and ask how much and where you got your rubber…. Off to the Ring on Wednesday and need sorting sharpish.

Pete...

If you’re behind me and can read this, its because I’m letting you.... Pee Wee