Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fester

Delbert

I've been slaving away here on multiple fronts, no time to type the usual nonsense I'm afraid!

I spent several days "helping Eric" (I just never learn) and we have now concluded that when we do ANTHING together it's inevitably a catastrophy.

Frinstance, Eric asked me to have a look at his attic. He wanted to put an office, bathroom and bedroom into an attic in which there were two "fermes" with horizontal stess beams at about chest height.

I know a fair bit about buildings of this sort so I recommended taking a chainsaw to the "charpente", cutting out the stress beams and putting a substitute in higher up, then cutting the kingpost down so people wouldn't brain themselves on the thing.

That all went according to plan.

Then the idea was to fit a bloody Velux in each end of the attic, in fact one on the south end, two on the north.

The Velux was bought from LePeyre, a big national DIY supplies chain.

When we opened the box, the first strange thing I noticed was that the instructions seemed to be in some eastern european language, possibly not unrelated to cyrillic Russian.

There was a web address, so we found an english rendition of the instructions, and printed it off.....12 pages of the most outrageous fantasy it's ever been my misfortune to try to interpret.

Following the instuctions scrupulously, we arrived at a point where we had installed the frame and had to trial fit the window.

IT WOULD NOT FIT!!!!!!!!!

In fact the frame surface became somewhat mullered in our increasingly savage attempts to get he wretched thing to go in.....and then I realised that the frame was in fact in the hole UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!!!

This is almost incredible, but I defy anyone to find anything in the instructions which could be interpreted as information as to which way was up, let alone anything else useful.......it simply said " make sure the black line is level with the top of the battens " which we had done.

The instructions could be seen as some sort of attack on the minds of western european DIYers.......there were pieces missing, a piece which had no visible use whatever, and then to cap it all, after we'd rectified the frame position, we could NOT get the window back in anyway.

We had to make a 90km round trip to the Lepeyre depot for them to show us how the poxy thing fitted....it was NOWHERE in the instructions.

Today Eric was helping me fibreglass a 60m² deck, for rain runoff under some decking....at least it was nice'n'breezy up there, and the view is fantastic, though Eric was playing the fool with an implement he'd made which was a roller for the resin, with a long broom handle stuck up it, to which the broom head was still attached.

Fran was throwing stuff up to us from the courtyard, Eric, in full New York Redsox hitting style was batting it back, Fran found this most amusing.... *tongue*

We did about 11m² and then it got too hot and the resin was going off too quick, so we are starting again at 7am tomorrow if it's not actually raining...

Then I have been trying to fit several kits of stuff from Eliseparts, and the less said about that the better..... *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

I'll say no more, I want to give them a chance to sort it out.......

I'm also trying to do evaluation on the fitting of my new bypass oilfilter systems on several cars, which I must say has been a positive joy in comparison with the other jobs on the Elise....heatshield round alternator.....easy enough with the engine out, remote stat, ditto, oilcooler rad (no comment at this time) *mad* oil pressure and temp guages (ditto *mad*) and a special strengthened alternator mount for the arm which broke off on the M25 (made by us, so it fits perfectly *smokin*)

Also we've been developing the Pace belt cover, the units are off being anodised now, the first one will be fitted on my SV......no way much will be getting into the case, it has proper teflon interferance seals on both the oilpump axis and the crank pulley axis. The front cover will be transparent, so belt condition can be monitored.

Funny how much more I seem to be able to get done if I don't spend all day in the sheds! 😬 *cool* *wink*

Not had much time for "work" in the normal sense but I'm retiring myself from the world of the Immobilier anyway.........been at it for way too long

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 1 Aug 2007 22:47:45

Kev - call me...it will be empty and when I know the exact date I will post something on here. Within the next week I think...... *thumbup* You need something brought back?

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

The Bearded Clams

King Clam Of Clam Hill!

NEW Updated Photos here

Only some cider *wink*

It's not important though, but some Thatchers Christon or Thatchers Katy or Spartan would be nice if you had time and room *wink*

It's the one thing I miss most! (I still have bacon etc. in the freezer!)

Only dead fish go with the flow....!