Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Car won't start - Help !!!!

lowlander

Hi there,

My 1994 K series won't start. It's the standard factory vecta immobilisor thats the problem. Plenty of life in the battery. Lights and hazards all worlking as they should.

The little red / green LED shows no signs of life and the car won't turn over. No signs of life at all.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Let's be fair, most last quite a long time. If it's failed after 13 years it's not bad. However doesn't help the non-starting problem. As mentioned 2 circuits bypassed under the dash: coil & starter. However the wiring for the 3rd interupt to the fuel pump is usually spliced in the tunnel; it was on my 1994 car. If you can take the scuttle off it makes it so much easier.

Well its fixed itself for the time being although I'll probably take the vecta out at some point as Idon't want to be stranded.

Before the car fixed itself I did have a good look at the wiring and it looks far from simple. There are 5 wires coming from the key slot in the dasboard, another two from the LED and another two from the 'speaker' that bleeps when the immobilisor activites and then de-activates. In top of this there are 4 black wires running from the main fuse box. All these wires run underneath the dash to the immobilisor unit itself. There are then another 14 or so black wires comes out of the vecta cylinder.

Removing the scuttle looks like major work as well.

It's not as bad as it looks.

In reality there are only a few of the wires that actually do any "interrupting of essential services".

But if you don't trust the unit then it is worth having it removed - or alternatively isolated from the car for a while to see if it is teh real cause of the non-starting.

Dave

Car now back up and running.

Was a bit of a fiddle to bypass the vecta but a few skinned knuckles and a bit a swearing and all is now well. I've left the vecta in the car for the time being along with the key slot and the LED in the dash. Removing them would just leave holes to be filled in the dash.

Working under the dash is a right ba%£*rd...........

Went through plenty of insulating tape and cable ties as well trying to keep things neat and tidy

Thanks for the advice.