Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade to 2.0 16v Vx

Gary-Cornwall

Considering the above for my current live axle grad spec at the end of the year.

Can anyone give me a quick summary of the changes that will need to be made. The ital axle will be replaced by a Ford one. Can I keep the 40's? I know stuff like brakes etc should be considered but at this stage I just need to know the "must do's". What about the bonnet, Sierra box etc?

Any help much appreciated.

Roger, Barbara, I knew that passenger ride was a mistake!

Assuming the Grad car is a VX 8v , all the bottom end bits are the same fitment - i.e. engine mounts, bellhousing, gearbox etc. If its an Xflow, all are different.

So assuming its a VX you need:

New carbs (min 45's) if you want any serious (over 150bhp) power.

New inlet manifold

New exhaust manifold

Probably a new bonnet

Brake swill be OK unless you go over around 200bhp. Rogers car is 250bhp!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie, thanks for the advice....I knew I could rely on you for help with VX issues. Yes its a Vx 8v.

Any thoughts on whether to keep the original bits to revert back if required for resale or just use them to fund the upgrade?

Tinman - I'll just settle for 150ish for the time being. But at the rate you're improving both driver and car (Coombe!) I reserve the right to future upgrades as required. Thursday sounds good...watch the weather.

Gary,

Ditch the 8v engine and slot the 2.0 XE in.

What you will save on carbs at 150bhp on 40's you will lose on having to get the engine professionally mapped.

Buy one of the 2d systems in the for sale sectio - 175bhp on twin 45's on a std engine with Caterhams manifold.

I am sure someone on here is thinking of an injection upgrade so getting the bits shouldn't be so hard.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Gary....i'm in the process of doing just what you plan to do. You will need:

engine

caterham sump

twin 45's weber or dellorto

2d ignition module

hoses

inlet manifold

exhaust manifold

I'm not sure about the bonnet yet

I plan to keep all the old 8v parts so that when and if i come to sell the car I could return it to normal spec or sell it with two possible power plants.

You are quite right. I however decided to keep the old engine intact with its own sump to keep the dirt out of the bottom end while storing it and so that I could do a quick change back to 8v when I feel like sprinting in class 1.

With ref. to the 2d ignition module. The existing igniton module on your car is not suitably programmed for the 16v engine. You would therefore need to either reprogramme it or replace it with one from a 16 v car. I got mine from a fellow blatter.

I think I will have the whole lot fitted and running for under 1.5K (the wife thinks alot less). it is a much better route to more power than an 1800 conversion IMHO. But dont forget this is a disease and big brakes, suspension, ford axle, LSD, and throttle bodies all threaten to make think why dont I buy L7FUN.

Err.. sorry to butt-in but I just happen to have a 77,000 mile red top C20XE Vauxhall 16V engine sitting in my shed looking for a good home.., its complete with all ancilliaries , is in good running order and I *may* be able to root out the ECU.

Oily