Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Best first Caterham to buy with limited budget

Ed W

Just on a pure numbers game, the largest number of cars out there are K-series. K-series means a span of 100-250+ bhp, all with the same/similar ancillaries; same/similar running experience.

An R400, for instance, doesn't struggle to put out 200bhp and is entirely usable on track. They tend to get driven very hard and usually only the well-driven Radicals are faster at track days. They shrug off that sort of treatment very ably.

A 1.6 Supersport is another sweet spot. Usable, quiet, economical and a demon when partnered with a light flywheel and six speed box. Others are faster, but there are few better ways to find yourself in a groove on a favourite stretch of road.

The 1.8 (standard and supersport) are a bit less revvy. The 1.4 is more revvy. The VVC has great road manners - fuss free power delivery, with more than you expect over a wider than you expect rev range. For all answers to reliability, check out here...Miss Daisy in China.

I'm not going to be drawn on the other engine variants. I'll just extol the virtues of those I know well. Had a phonecall today from the owner of the 1.6 Supersport I sold a bit over a year ago. It had been taking a tonne of abuse at the club trackday at Oulton Park, driven "with feeling". The owner got a bargain, for a rebuilt ex-race car (road legal) for well within your budget.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malcolm,

I had my engine + gearbox out last year for a check up because I' m aware that a neglected Twin Cam can result in poor performance and a lot of problems, but apart from some small specific Twin Cam parts (water pump, cam bearings, chain and tensioner, ...) all the rest is identical with a standard 1600 X Flow.

The check up + rebuild + replacing all the "wear parts" of engine and gearbox has cost about 1.500 EUR (approximately 1.000 GBP). For this price we did the following :

- clean, inspect and measure all the parts

- replace all the bearings

- replace the piston rings

- replace water pump internals

- replace chain + tensioner + ...

- replace all the gaskets + essential nuts and bolts + ...

- service the Webers

- hone the cylinders

- polish the cylinder head

- replace valve seats + grind in the valves + ...

- replace fuel pump

- service oil pump (dry sump system)

- service and improve oil pan + dry sump system

- service ignition system

I' m certainly forgetting some things, but as far as I have experienced a Twin Cam is not that expensive as some people think. Ofcourse I did not have to replace pistons, camshafts or crankshaft but the price of these parts is identical to those of a standard X Flow.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever ... someone said.

Hi All

Thread still going and no sign of ED

No one has picked up on one important fact, the FABULOUS CROSSFLOW ( well according to Adam Hay anyway ) is 40 Years old this year, so 7 is 50 C/F is 40

Happy Birthday to both

John

Apologies for being away!

As stated previously I have been amazed by the size of the response.

A a newcomer I have also been suprised at the emotion within the forum. Lotus & Caterham Sevens have been built over the last 50 years using a number of technologies to meet a range of price points and consumer needs, the first seven was a de-dion, but the technology was dropped to meet a price point.

I personally do not believe one car is better or worse than another, just different. As drivers / owners / admirers we all have our own needs and preferences.

I asked the question simply because the range of combinations of chassis, engines & power is so great and because with a limited, and probably one off, budget, I wanted to get a wide range of opinions before starting my search.

As a result of all your valued opinioins I now have on paper at least two initial specifications, which will be refined by looking at and hopefully riding in / driving some cars.

Thank you for all your help and advice I will let you know how I get on

Ed

Ed

Welcome back, i think you have one or two pointers to go on now

As stated before, all types, and some really nice ones in your price bracket

are available on Pistonheads ( i assume you know that anyway )

Let us know what you decide

John

Having just read this thread, getting all different views on different models. I did lots of research into buying our 1st Caterham (it was to be our car where the kids couldnt get in and we could have fun). Eventually we went for the 1.8VVC, being the 2nd car we tried we was blown away by the performance. We have had our car 6wks now and it hasnt stopped raining yet, but no problems at all. So are these engines poor, do they blow headgaskets or is it just luck and looking after them.? *confused*

There are no bad Caterhams

xflow (I personnally have a 1600 sprint, about 120 HP)

very charming car with a historical engine

something like a new car with an old flavor

under priced in GB, more value than a std K abroad ....

2L Vx (heavy front end but very powerful)

sound and heat

more savage than a the old Ford

K std a perfect car

lightest, well balanced, low consumption

anyone who have it want to transform in a R 400 ore more

So Too perfect, too smooth for someone who want a wild car

R 400 or something like

can be considered as a race car

every body wants one but if you cannot pay for it (expensive 7)

you will say that it is useless on the road

sadly out of your budget but the std K could be a starting point

Personnal choice as Zetec are not my favorites

BDA : gem for connoisseur but a little thirsty

compare with my 28-30 mpg 1600 sprint

My choice for you : a very nice K std 1600 or 1800

but if you like old fashioned 7 of course an X flow with 2 Webers you can play

no electronic except an Aldon ignitor, but fumes, flames and noise

eric

Eric,

I totally agree with your list, although it should start with theengine, the (in)famous Twin Cam.

Everybody who likes the pains and plaisures of a X Flow, will definitely like a Twin Cam. Just multiply your joy and problems with 2, and you' ll have an idea about living with a real Twin Cam.

You' re completely right to state that a moderate X Flow on double Webers delivers enormous driving fun at a moderate cost. When I was looking for a genuine LHD Seven - a search for approximately 10 years - a X Flow with 110 BHP was my first choice. Luckily or unfortunately (the future will tell !) I had to settle for a Twin Cam.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever ... someone said.

Just multiply your joy and problems with 2, and you' ll have an idea about living with a real Twin Cam

Hmmmmm . . . . Now I see why you'd multiply the problems by 2, but don't see why a Twin-Cam should be twice as enjoyable as a Crossflow *confused*

Concerning the zetec, the only problem is with caterham cars? as they cannot service the car, SO I think that it is not a car for a beginner in the 7 world .

The best way to be well in the 7 world is to have a model welcomed by the manufacturer. But I have nothing to say on this type of 7, it seems to be a good car.

To be honest I forget the 1.8 vvc (which is a very good one 7 if it is in the budget)

and for the twincam, excellent but some problems with water pump can occur

and you really come in the world of the classic cars, with some expensive and difficult parts to source like the BDA of course

Plenty parts for the Rover even if the manufacturer cannot do anything today for you

crossflow parts are still avalaible with burton

But Rover engine very reliable when not too tuned...

You understand that it is very difficult too choose between the xflow and the K seven

the K is electronic model and the Ford a mecanical one

with all the pro and against this technology

For the 2L Vx you cannot find today a replacement ecu, you can change all the calculator with new connectors but for how many times ?

Find a good K1600 K1800 vvc or not or read the excellent book of John Tipler about Lotus and Caterham 7 and the page 153 -154 *wink*

eric

Well over here I don't get the benefit of Caterham servicing so that's really not an issue. Any other problems with a Zetec?

I must admit to really liking mechanical things so if I ever do upgrade, a part of me will be sorry. I think I'd be happier with something that pushes machinery to the limit, in every aspect, instead of computers doing the business.

---

Kristoffer Lawson

• 1 month later...

To finally close this thread I just thought I would let you know that today I bought Little Bob's, formerly C7 GTE, 1998 1.8 Supersport. I have driven it home from the south coast to Suffolk and so far so good. No doubt I shall have a few questions over the next few weeks but thanks to everyone who gave their opinions and advice.

Ed W