Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Electric Hydraulic Line Lock

MattC

I have a hyraulic line lock (on the rear brakes) operated by a knob under the steering wheel which

a. I can't reach with the belts on

b. gives up the ghost after about 5 minutes

I was thinking of replacing this with an electric one but two questions

1. Does the line lock open when the ignition is turned off?

2. Where can I get one?

Cheers

Matt

Matt - I tried to find decent answers to these questions before and failed I think.

What I found out was:

American firm called Moroso do a line lock solenoid for drag racing. Sadly it only works while you keep you finger on the 'lock' button.

Somone on here fitted an electric line lock brake, though - be interesting to see if they surface now!

Locks the brakes on... you press the brake pedal hard and press the button - usually used on the front wheels for drag racing burnouts but could also be used on the rears for front wheel drive burnouts I guess...

I fitted an electric line lock to the front brake circuit and have a button on steering wheel so the line lock can be operated as "handbrake" for hill starts, SWMBO can drive the seven in this configuration (seven has under dash mechanical handbrake which is out of reach when strapped in). Stop on hill with footbrake, operate line lock which holds front brakes on, ie maintains hydranlic pressure on front brakes. Foot off footbrake seven remains still. Normal hill start, just release the "button" as you normally release the mechanical handbrake and away you go. *thumbup*

I purchased the lock from "Real Steel" and as Julian says it is an American import from Moroso. I'm not sure how long you could run one for in one continuous operation as mine is only used for a brief period of time mainly for hill starts.

I have the details at home and could send them through if you wish.

Chris *smile*

Hi Matt

I've got an electronic line lock fitted. Mine is powered through the ignition and a momentary push button so only works when I hold the button down. How it operates will depend on the way you wire it up. To get it to work as an alternative handbrake you would need to wire it direct to the battery and a latching switch.

I bought mine off ebay but have only ever seen them advertised in the US. You might want to try contacting some of the drag racing teams to see if they know of suppliers in this country.

Nick

I've got the Moroso line lock and it works brilliantly either for tyre warming *tongue* or as a hill start aid. I have a momentary button on the dash just under the middle finger of my right hand.

See here for the Moroso unit or here for the B&M one. Both excellently priced *thumbup* *thumbup*.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Surrey AO and Su77on Se7ener