Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD Options

Delberts Wallet

Speak to Steve at SPC (Reditch), 01527 894232, he knows his stuff. He fitted a Quaiffe torque biasing diff for me. Previously I had used a Quaiffe type in my Ital Axle car and then the Caterham ZF type in my de-dion. Personally I much prefer the Quaiffe type (they are quiet) but opinions do differ on this believe it or not. The diff is approx. £450 + fitting + VAT.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Just spoke to Steve at SPC. Says that the Diff is £450, Fitting £100 and then Vat on top of that lot. He Recommended the Quaiffe saying as Paul says, they're quieter.

Quaiffe don't have any in stock so lead times are quite long. All I need now is £650

Gareth

Who Dares Twins bum.gif bum.gif

Edited by - Gareth Harrold on 23 Apr 2002 11:45:39

The plate type is the only type which prevents spinning a lifted wheel. The Quaife is not a true LSD IIRC.

The std ZF LSD is set up for a Sierra and snatches abd grabs a fair bit, so driving around slow corners becomes a rather oversteery experience. Phil Stewart at Road Race Transmissions (darn sarf) 01959 525105 produces ZF type plate LSD's with modified ramps and load settings so you end up with a diff ideal for a 500kg car.

One word of warning is to forget the AP Surtrack if you plan to do much track work. Lifting a wheel in this instance puts incredible strain back up the driveline when the tyre touches down, often resulting in damage to the gearbox - particularly 5th in the 6 speed.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Chris, I've now spoken to Trans - X about thier plate diffs. He says that are a bit noisey for road use as they are competition spec. Also the cost of the unit is around £520 + fitting + vat.

Looks light I might have to do some investigation regarding the plate/ Torsen type as there is a cost difference.

Gareth

Who Dares Twins bum.gif bum.gif

Gareth

Are you intending to use the car at Track Days, sprints etc? if you are only going to use the car on the road keep the standard diff in it. For normal road use (with 130hp? and A021's?) an LSD is unnecessary, (in my opinion).

Paul

Edited by - Paul Turner on 23 Apr 2002 13:08:01

Edited by - Paul Turner on 23 Apr 2002 13:09:35

Gareth, it seems that Tran-X prices have increased quite a bit. They just quoted me a terrible price for an Imp LSD!

I don't know the current price for a ZF unit but it may be cheaper.

I have never been quite convinced that the Quaife/Torsen approach is ideal. I believe that when one wheel sees zero torque the diff operates as an conventional open unit and the other wheel will also lose drive.

the pre-loaded plate diff such as the ZF and Tran-X don't suffer this problem and will give drive to both wheels depending on the amount of pre-load.

I accept that they are noisier than the Quaife and possibly more difficult on the overrun, depending on the ramp angles but I feel happier with their performance.

I don't think the Quaife is any different to the AP in regard to lifting a wheel.

Arnie is absolutely correct. The most destructive combination is a torque-sensing diff, fifth gear in the six speed box, ~200bhp, fat slicks and riding the kerbs flat out. There aren't that many circuits where you get to ride the kerbs in fifth flat out with ~200bhp, but it was enough for the SLR racers to break a load of gearboxes.

The torque sensing diff is lovely to use in terms of progressive characteristics and fit and forget usability. Does anybody want to buy mine so that I can upgrade to a ZF before breaking my gearbox at Curborough? Naah. I forgot - I'm not riding the kerbs at Curborough, just the tyrewalls teeth.gif

Ellie,

"If it is a Ford LSD it will always be a plated type"

Are you sure???? Is the AP Suretrack only available as an aftermarket product?? Surely they OEM them to Ford???

To check for a ZF plate type look through the centre of the diff side to side. An LSD hastwo visibale shafts around 12mm dia which cross in the centre. If the diff has only 1 shaft, it is not an LSD.

I also thorught all Cossies used the 7.5" diff.....

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie - all Cossies did use the 7.5" diff.

As for getting one second hand, be careful you don't end up with just the normal Sierra 4x4 viscous type LSD, not least because the output flanges are different (they use the Lobro joints rather than the Tripod type).

I think Caterham now get the plate type ones with the correct ramp angles on them.

Phil will do the preload settings to suit (40% IIRC) and is a top bloke with it.

Cost for the diff, using your own casing that he machines, is 822GBP incl. VAT. Or at least it was about 6 months ago.

I'd also be inclined to agree that a lower powered car used predmoniantly on the road doesn't really need one. I've had my car over 5 years and only fitted the diff last November. Can't say it's made that much difference on the road (not been on track with it yet, was hoping to on Saturday but who knows).