Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wide track suspension

prs

Hi guys according to the manual the lower wishbones should have no washers on the front leg and four in front of the rear leg. The set up on my 1.6 supersport which has wide track is for the normal wishbones ie one in front and two behind the front leg and two either side of the rear leg. As it stands the car handles extremely well, my question is will I gain much improvement by moving the washers around? Am I right in assuming their will be greater stability but the steering will become heavier? Lets hope this 7 weather continues all summer!

The post '96 chassis has changed pickup points at the front so set up doesn't necessarily agree with the manual (hell that is only six years ago). 2 washers either side is probably about right. The way you have it described - four washers in front of the lower wishbone rear arm would give less self-centring and less weight.

2 washers either side gives about 6.5 degrees of castor. Anywhere around 5.5-7 degrees is about right. You wouldn't want to have any more.

Thanks Peter, trouble is the manual says for wide track it should be no washers on the front leg and four in front of the rear. The set up I have is for normal wishbones but on wide track if you get my drift. Am I going to notice much difference if I change the washers around? Are you going to Stoneleigh, if so see you their. cheers phil