Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Alcom 4 pot calipers advice

JampJ

I fitted these a few months ago and this is my story.....

We had a debate with JW as to the pad choice, he sells and recomends EBC Green Stuff pads which have nearly double the swept area than the standard caliper pads. I asked about Mintex 1144 pads and he said he did supply them to fit but he rarely gets asked for them.

I followed his advice and went with Green Stuff. I also retained the standard disks for economy reasons.

Experience, well yes after bedding in they were good, much improvement over the standard caliper/pad combo but boy, after a few runs did they squeal !! Despite the usual trick with coppaslip etc and bevelling the pad edges I could not get rid of the squeal.

So, I obtained a new set of Mintex 1144's for this caliper and they have a slightly smaller swept area but still bigger than the standard caliper pads. After bedding in (btw I cleaned the disks with fine abrasive paper and isopropyl alcohol before fitting the new pads) they performed I would say about the same as the Green stuffs but without any noise at all. I have used these pads now for about 500 miles and am very pleased with them, still no squealing *smile* I find them far better than before, less effort required, better braking efficiency and they weigh much less too *thumbup*

Steve

Now with DVA Power! 191bhp and 150.9 lbft torque.

My Pictures

I like mine but don't accept greenstuff they've no bite. Get something else, pagid RS15 or 14 appears to be recommended. I plan to get RS15 front and 14 rear thanks to advice on here for the same. Ha dmine about 4 years now, no [problems, still on greenstuff which doesn't squeal for me, rubbish pads though-did I say that?

On track if you try hard enough I've found it possible to cook the rear brakes which I've left standard

Well as Mark Durrant said my old discs were well ridged and getting thin and I went back to the standard having tried some groved ones they did not last very long on the front. Well happy with the 4 pots.

I am using green stuff no real complaints other than the odd bit of fade on a track day might try pagid RS 15/14 next time. Pads are always a compromise for me between great braking when driven on the track but good when cold for 'oh god why did he do that' *smile*braking when poodling around in london traffic.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Be aware that the Pagid RS15`s require heavy use to keep them working . I have found that with light use on the road they glaze up . IMO the Rs 14`s are better all round pad, the RS 15 is a step too far unless you are using the car on track most of the time.

Bilbo,

The Pagid pads have very high friction levels from cold u0.5 and increase as they heat up, the opposite to the way most pads perform. They also do not eat your discs like so aggressive pads do. Worth every penny *thumbup*

Edited by - Rob Walker on 20 Jul 2007 09:21:26

Fitted them *thumbup* Wow what a difference than I fitted new pads and new Brembo disks (£60) so a lot more expensive than the standards but was recommended by a couple of sources, also fitted padgids Wow x10. Very very good abut they are very noisy not squeal just move about a lot in the caliper, make is sound like a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer at low speed but boy do they stop you 😬

Great upgrade which ever material you choose but do change your disks

Its Yellow And Black and Makes me 😬here

It is recomended practise. If you have paid £100+ for your pads and you then try to bed them in against grooved/worn discs its false economy and the disc surface will also be contaminated with the residue left behind in the surface of the metal from the previous pads, this is difficult to remove and can prevent your expensive pads working as they should.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 20 Jul 2007 18:45:46

Hi Roy

Well I did chose the green stuff because they heat up quick so ok in town and do not glaze, rather I should say they have not glazed.

As to disks well if anyones are groved you should find your braking much improved for a change of disks.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Sorry

My post was confusing I meant groved or ridged by wear from the pads .