Click here if you are having website access problems ×

external oil-pump on XE

Marius

I´m about to get my external-oil-pump from SBD installed on my 16v XE. However, these pumps have a so called pressure-relief-valve at the back of the case which is adjustable. There are also different spring-rates available for the pump. Now what the hell is exactly that "valve" been made for ? How does it work ? When does it start to get busy ? How should it be adjusted ? Just wanted to ask you lot before I pick up the phone and get a horrendous bill. Any help very appreciated.

Marius

The oil pressure relief valve is there to maintain constant oil pressure. As the revs alter so will the oil pressure. If this was not fitted things like the oil filter would explode! All engines have them and the original vx one is the big bolt on the rhs of the pump when viewed from the front of the engine. The standard one is also adjustable by fitting spacers behind the spring in effect stiffening it. When you say external oil pump do you mean belt driven like for a dry sump kit? SBD have probably told you this but it is a good idea if you are replacing the pump to make sure it has a nylon relief valve as any small debris in the engine can jam the standard metal one. This may be more of a problem with a Caterham as the strainer in the original sump is removed due to lack of space.As for adjustment this would depend on your engine spec ie solid lifters and other mods. SBD would be able to tell you what spring rates etc would be best suited to your engine.

Please could you let me know which type of pump you are getting as I may be replacing my one shortly?

Hope this is of use James

Thanks James for your advise, great help for me. I´ve got a belt-driven pump supplied by SBD but can´t quite remember the name, I think it was PACET. I saw the pump just for 5 minutes than I gave it away to my engine-builder. I´ll give SBD a call about the different springs. I just installed a website at www.mospeed.de where you´ll be able to watch the results of the fitment within the next 4 weeks.

Thanks again for your help !