Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oi Myles....

KevSull Too

Need to replace my 300D, as it's now the weak link between camera, glass and idiot pressing buttons. I was really suffering at ISO400 after cropping some recent pics.

Is the 1D mk III really that much better than the 5D?

Wot with the 5D having 12 mpixels and the 1D only 10? I know the 5D is a full frame jobbie, so I lose the 1.6x I get with my current 300D, but the 5D should make up for the lack of magnification multiplier with the extra pixels? I've read that the noise performance of the 5D is good due to the 35mm sensor, and I'm unlikely to need the really high ISO settings that the 1D excels in.

I'll need to keep saving for the 1D but could stretch to the 5D now. I may also be able to pursuade SWMBO that I need the 17-40mm L jobbie too.

What'd jew reckon? (that's Welsh that bit by there *arrowleft*).

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

The 5D is rumoured to be up for replacement - but that's a pretty medium-long term change - probably the next to get an upgrade will be the 1Ds mk II or the 30D.

Anyway, the noise on the mk III is excellent - I'm fairly sure I've read that it has the same pixel-density and spacing as the 5D, but just a smaller sensor. It also has the latest twin-CPU processing - in any case, it's damned good for low-noise.

The mk III should has much quicker AF than the 5D - and that 10fps can be useful too...

They're really chalk and cheese though. The FF sensor is good for wide angle - but some lenses suffer from vignetting at the edges because the light is travelling at such an extreme angle relative to the sensor sites.

The 1D is weather-proofed too... ...only really useful if you have matching L-series lenses.

Basically, I'd suggest that if you want a landscape/portrait camera, go for the 5D. Any kind of sports-usage (or anything requiring quick and accurate dynamic AF) will be better served by the mk III. It's a monster of a camera (from all sorts of perspectives). Jolly happy with mine - but I would consider a used 1dmkII (or mk II N) for a second body for around the same sort of price (£1400ish) as a new 5D. Quite hard to find them though.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

that dreadful Canon stuff (they are really a photocopier & printer maker

Funny, I've heard that defense from another local, high-end NiCON owner in the last few weeks...

and not an optical maker like Nikon)

Well, why don't NiCON get on and make some bleedin' optics then - instead of winding up Delbert and co with dodgy Lego-alikes... *rolleyes* *wink*

😬

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Thanks Myles (F**k off Davis).

Looks like you've just cost me a lot more money, you swine.

Although the original plan was to see what the 40D will be like and get some extra glass with that.

Davis, the Nikon vs. Canon discussion is very much like the Jeep vs. Land Rover discussion. And as we say, I'd rather push a Land Rover than drive a Jeep!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

We would like to inform you that Nikon AF-S Tele-Converter TC-17E II is compatible with

AF-S and AF-I Nikkor lenses except AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED, VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED and DX Nikkor lenses.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Marylen Hwang

Customer Service

So the struggle begins, be better outting it on e-bay

If at first you don't suceed Skydiving is not for you

And Digi rev have given me moi money back minus postage £8 and return postage (claimed on expenses) *thumbup* *thumbup*

So its a Macro real size prime for Delbert next, after a bit of the old reasearch

If at first you don't suceed Skydiving is not for you

OK, it seems that specs for the 40D are being leaked now, just found this on another forum:

From the Camera and Imaging Products Association we have these specs:

* 10.1 MP CMOS sensor

* 5fps, 30 JPEG image burst

* Integrated Cleaning System

* 2.5in LCD with 230K pixels and 160º viewing angle

* Picture Style image processing

* Spot metering & 9-point AF

* DIGIC II processor with 0.2 sec start up

* Compatible with all EF/EF-S lenses and EX Speedlite flashes

Not looking that great so far, and this was my last chance to buy something decent that wasn't the cost of a small country.

Actually, looking at that spec again, I can't believe it at all.

10MP - OK, yes.

Digic II - erm, hasn't the 30D got that?

5fps and 30 jpegs? Erm, hasn't the...

2.5" LCD - hasn't the....

* 8.2 MP CMOS sensor

* 5fps, 30 JPEG image burst

* 2.5" LCD

* Picture Style image processing

* Spot metering & 9-point AF

* DIGIC II

* Digital Photo Professional software

* Magnesium alloy body

* Compatible with all EF/EF-S lenses and EX Speedlite flashes

* Connectivity

Erm - yep - those are all 30D features except for the 10MP. No anti-dust either, you'll notice.

I would expect 10MP, DigicIII, anti-dust, maybe not much more than 5fps - but a longer burst...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻