Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you adjust the clutch?

AndrewD

I think I need to adjust the clutch cable, it is getting to the stage where I need to depress the pedal right to the floor to engage gears (used to be easier than this). Anybody know how to do this (PS. I am not very mechanically-minded so please be gentle with me)

Thanks!

Andrew

Yellow SLR T777XXX

Andrew,

In theory, there is no adjustment on the clutch apart from the cable length (pedal height). As the clutch wears, the bite point should be occurring nearer the top, not further down.

You might have something non-standard going on. Some cars were fitted with springs in the pedal box to reduce the residual contact pressure between the clutch release bearing and the clutch.

You might have a sticky cable. In partcular, the pedal box end gets worn in a groove where the cable rubs - this can make clutch control very awkward.

The other thing to check is the clutch fork. If you remove the rubber cover to where the cable goes into the bell housing, you can shine a torch and see the fork. The fork has a bend in it but it should be towards the back of the car. I've seen one start to bend the other way which results in a lower and lower bite point till you can'd release the clutch at all.

If that's ok and the cable is ok, then simply adjusting the cable at either end (the pedal box end is easier) should get the bite point to a more suitable position. This is done by loosening the 2 adjusting nuts from each other, then adjusting the one nearest to the pedal box or bellhousing. When the position is right, lock the nut in place by tightening the other nut against it.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 22 Apr 2002 15:17:53