Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Mirrors

luddites7

I have just bought an aeroscreen and now need to get some mirrors I have looked at both the SPA and racetech types and wanted to know what peoples experiences have been. The only difference seems to be the two fixing screws on SPA and only one bolt on the racetech. What are the finish like on each etc. Also what has been the best position to fit the mirrors.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jason

The SPA mirrors seem to be a better quality item in my opinion. I've recently got the JPE aeroscreen and started with SPA type flat mirrors on the outer edges. Only problem was that I couldn't see anything directly behind me. Possible solution would be to see whether convex would fill the blind spot, but I went down the route of an additional racectech mirror in the centre. Reason for racetech being:

a)mounts to the aeroscreen so don't need more holes in the scuttle, and

b) the mounting stalk is central to the mirror housing and so doesn't look stupid as a central mirror.

I went for convex, so can now see myself smiling inanely whilst driving along!

I've got 3 Racetech mirrors - left, right and centre - and have opted for the convex glass as the previous flat SPA ones I used left a blind spot.

The quality fo the Racetech ones is at least as good as the SPA ones and they're cheaper to boot. They also have a more easily adjusted swivel mounting - for the SPA ones you need to drill 3 holes and have access to imperial allen keys (unless the new ones are now metric). And the SPA ones need a flatter surface on which to be mounted than the Racetech ones.

I prefer the SPA ones, go for convex not only do you see more but the mirror seems a better quality.

I looked at carbon could not see the advantage and IMHO plastic ones are a better finish.

If you have a windscreen you can mount them on the support or the doors. (see other threads about the pros and cons of this)

If you have areo screens I am sure they still fit.

Andy

My Racetech wing mirrors are fine. And were much cheaper than SPA equivalents.

Convex ones are generally made out of glass, where-as flat plane ones are often plastic, hence optical quality can be compromised. I think the same applies to both brands.

Can you use 1 of those ultra-sticky mirror pads to stick the centre mirror to the scuttle? Would it be too wobbly? I've got far too many dials and wires right below where I would need to drill.

(Hopefully this isn't as daft a statement as the cycle wing one above - though somehow it probably is :-) )

Well spotted. Treat this as a back door advertisement for the clamshell club (I'm no. 14)!

Remembering the old Citroens with the swivelling headlights to see round bends, you must be able to see the benefits of having the wide view behind you also.

daft - oh wise ones?!

Try this

- mirrors on side screens are difficult to see through scratched and dirty side screens

- they can also be damaged or damage the windscreen when opening the screens

then

- you get a better view and smaller blind spot by mounting the convex mirror further forward

- during most normal driving, there's fairly small movement of the wheels

- wheels to the left, you get wider view of what's behind, and your body hides a lot of scuttle mirror view

- wheels to the right, you have a better view over your right shoulder anyway, the convex mirror still gives you a better view to the right and the scuttle mirror is pointing in the wrong direction.

A bit of lateral thinking is good for the soul, especially on a Friday.

Think about it!

Don't you use the headlamps as wing mirrors?

Could get some of those caravanners extension mirrors and fix to the headlamp upright!!

What's it matter who you just left behind anyway?

Not so "Nifty" just at present (engine hassle!!)

Edited by - Nifty on 27 Apr 2002 14:06:56