Click here if you are having website access problems ×

roll over bar

Phil

DO NOT CHROME IT

Chroming involves the use of many caustic chemicals and results in hydrogen embrittlement. It is entirely inappropriate for stress bearing or safety components. Show cars can get away with it, but do not do it if you intend to drive your car anywhere.

Removing the bar is easy enough though. (fitting a roll cage however isn't so easy)

fitting a roll cage however isn't so easy

Ne'er a word better said. I spent yesterday jumping up and down on top of mine, trying to get the front holes line up with the nuts welded into the chassis...

...after about 3 hours of this, I resorted to drilling out a single pop rivet each side only to watch the cage drop into place. I'd thought the cage-mount was clear of the rivets. Doh..!!

Dead chuffed with the results, although I ache so much from fitting it that I can't actually get in any more. smile.gif

"Hydrogen embrittlement" I though, would only apply to carbon steels, bolts of grade 10+ etc? What is the bar made from? (It is weldable so cannot have that much carbon present).

I have seen many other roll bars chromed, from F1 types to AC Cobras.

I want a shiny chrome one.

Roland

Roland,

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" ....seems beautifully appropriate here.

The embrittlement is real (I'm sure the Blue Book forbids it on safety-related bits)

You won't have seen 'chromed' roll bars on F1 cars - if you're thinking of the gorgeous Lotus 49's etc it was probably nickel, but certainly not chrome.

Leave it to the lowriders and Fake Snakes (:~)

Thanks for all the tips on chroming and I shall be avoiding that one and getting a powder coat or paint job instead. You all say removal of the bar is easy but I am unclear on fitting being hard to do, is it hard to refit a bar or do you mean it is hard to insatall from new or both.