Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

refurbishing steering rack

jackb_ms

Mine is 10 years old and it has some play in it.

I can turn the steering wheel a few degrees before the rack will move.

I suppose that there is something worn out inside or is there a way of removing this play?

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

you can adjust the play in the rack...or can on my SV one at least. I think whippet sized are the same. There is a big nut/bolt arrangement with an allen key hole in it just above where the column goes into the rack. Back off the locking nut, tighten up the allen key hole an ickle bit and lock back up...

you can adjust the play in the rack...or can on my SV one at least. I think whippet sized are the same. There is a big nut/bolt arrangement with an allen key hole in it just above where the column goes into the rack. Back off the locking nut, tighten up the allen key hole an ickle bit and lock back up...

Yes and no. If it's really started to wear, you'll probably find that adjusting the rack so that there is acceptable play when straight-ahead will result in a tight rack away from dead-ahead.

I've adjusted mine as best I can (quick rack) - but there is definitely more play at the center than towards full lock. There is very little self-centering on mine due to the level of adjustment I needed. Bit heavy below 50mph - at 70-80 it really livens up and is absolutely spot-on (for me).

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com