Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rear Arb positioning

wg_mulholland

Does anyone know what the differences between the two are? I'm talking about the differences betwen the lower bolt through the 3/4inch bottom rail type (below and above) and the bolt on higher up on the bottom of the inertia reel boxes type. What is the history and why the change? Are the bars interchangeable (can I use an above bar in the lower position/ are the clamps the same?)

Bill,

The bar moved as iot cannot easily be changed in situ when in the yupper position. The lower position was already built into the JPE chassis to accomodate the saddle tank, so all ARB's were fitted that way from around 1996 on.

I am not definately sure if the parts are all the same, but I am fairly sure they are. The clamps certainly are. Peter Carmichael will know for sure, he's just converted.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 21 Apr 2002 22:58:22

The widths of the bars are different and the maximum diameter bar you can get for the underslung is 1/2inch. You can carry over the mounting blocks.

The main reason for the recent move is to give clearance for wider wheels. An "under the inertia reel box" type ARB has to go around the outside of the spring/dampers. The underslung one can be narrower.

Arnie can correct me on this, but have there not been two specs of underslung bar? The JPE one and the current one. The one I have just fitted runs underneath the diff and needed extra bushes brazed into the lower chassis tubes.

The original de Dion RARB was underslung and forward-facing, with continuous (stepless) adjustment and proper left and right handed rod-ends on a drop-link, mounted on tabs either side of the forward lower edge of the tank. Is this the same as the JPE-type, or is that yet another variation?

Cheers lads, so I need a new bar aswell then.

Just to add more confusion to the debate: I did see a race a year or so back with a mounting for the a frame bolted to the arb mounts- so the a-frme was above the line of the chassis. It had an underslung bar (below the chassis bottom rail)

Bill