Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What is meant by a 'spanner check'?

Dirty Den

I know it's a stupid question, but what is meant by it, or what does it involve checking? eek.gif

I've checked my spanners are still in my garage, but I suspect that there is more to it than that. The person I bought my car from said I might want to do a spanner check as he hadn't done one this year.

Assume I've little mechanical knowledge please... sad.gif

Cheers,

Den

Not just tight, but also at the correct torque setting. It is often stressed, by the racing/track day fraternity, how important it is to do this check regularly. I wonder why is it not necessary every time you take the car on the road. Is it because road driving puts less stress on the suspension etc. or is it that the track people are more likely to have tweeked something and forgotten to tighten something else?

X5 SER

Go into your garage (or wherever your spanners are usually stored). Carry out a cursory inspection to ensure that all your spanners are in their correct places, then say "Check!" in a loud & authoritative manner.

Glad to be able to help.

Mike

Hey Mike - that's it! I went into the garage, checked they were still there, but didn't shout "check" - nice one, thanks... teeth.gif

Jonny - that's exactly what I'm after. I was hoping that someone would have a list to save me spending the time reading the build manual.

Cheers,

Den