Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water Temp. Reading

CHRIS CLARK

I know this can depend on the guage calibration etc., but can I get some idea of what readings you lot get? Suggest engine type,road or track,what temp. the fan cuts in at & anything else you consider important!

Reason; want to see if my 1400 SS is being overcooled.I have recently fitted a 'Kenlowe' adjustable fan stat. so the cut-in temp.can be varied from 45*c-120*c & anywhere in between.Running hard (or slow!) on road gives a reading of 78-80*.This is with a VDO guage.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris, know the feeling, mine always seems to run perilously close to the red line, so far I have drained it, flushed it cleaned it, & then given it to a professional, also had a fan over-ride switch & still the needle slowly but surely creeps towards that red bit on the gauge if I am doing anything except going fast with nobody in front disrupting the air flow. Is it the gauge, or do I need a new bigger radiator. Difficult isn't it.

Geoff

My 1800K started to appear to run very hot - got worse and worse but eventualy became obvious that it wasn't actually getting hot at all. Telephoned the factory and they confirmed that the sender was most likely not making a good circuit. Fixed easily by unscrewing the sender and then winding it back in again. Whereas the guage was showing near red all the time, it now reads between 80 and 90 all the time - so they can be pretty inaccurate.

I had this problem with my crossflow which only had a manual switch on the dash. I wanted the fan to cut in on auto but the guage always went upto the red before that happened and I would panic and switch on manually. I changed the sender unit and also the thermo switch in the engine & the fan began to cut in on auto at 96degrees and cut off at 90 degrees. I put the old thermo switch back and the fan still worked. Conclusion, the guage was over reading cos the sender unit and VDO guage were not matched. On a run the temp sits at circa 80-85 and at idle in traffic gets upto 90-96 quite quickly particularly with the ambient that we've been enjoying recently. During the trip to Le Mans where the ambient must have been 90+ there were no problems.

Geoff J, No, my problem is OVERCOOLING (I think!). Maybe I should just be thankful it's not the other (your) way!!!

The gauge not matching the sender is a good bet. I wonder too as the temp gauge pick-up is on the rail & the fan therm switch is on the rad. which bit reads correctly?

Sticking with the overheating aspect, My '85 had a small radiator which I just upgraded to a new Caterham one. (at least 3-4 times bigger). My problem now lies in the fact that the fan cuts in at 115 C. I have visually watched the thermostat open at 90 c. I have already replaced the sender once, but the same result. With the fan 'on' all the time it never runs above 90 c. I think my sender is bad 'again' or is it my smiths gauge. Any similar problems. Many thanks, Richard Gibson