Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anybody know how to carry bikes?

Miff

As well as liking 7's i also like mountain biking but the two don't combine very well. Shortly i will have a 7 as my only car - does anyone have any experience of fitting cycle-carriers to a seven?

i was thinking about just using a luggage carrier and bungee straps.

Yesterday I used my Westfeild's RAC bar as a carrier for a cycle frame and it just tied on with old toe clip straps looking at it it would not need to much pading to put a complete bike on the roll bar with the wheels out and strap these on or put them in the passenger side.

The bit that looks like it would cause the biggest problem is the chain set but this is easy to remove and refit its the none drive side that works loose so no great worries about doing it for each ride if nessasary.

Another option would be to make up a bracket that bolts around the roll bar and holds the bike frame by the wheel drop outs and then has a stay from the top tube to the top roll bar tube to stop it falling off and strap the wheels to the roll bar or bike.

Paul. ex cyclist

paul

See My Car Here

Don't worry about racks. As long as you are happy to drive with the hood off, then you can just strap the bike to the roll bar - done it many times myself! I use the spare wheel to hook one pedal over, hook the bar over the roll bar (with pipe insulating foam for protection) and strap or duct tape (depending on how far I am going) the bike in place. No need to disassemble anything.

Great minds must think alike!

Bought a Halfords Deluxe roof rack bike carrier on Saturday - a few subtle mods with a drill, saw, welder and big hammer, and it will be a spare wheel rack mounted bike carrier.

Not done yet as ran out of time Sat eve before a mad dash down the M6 @ 5500rpm / 80mph!

Will carry on the mods and let you know!

Bri

Hi, I sell Thule cycle carriers and they make one that normaly goes on the roof of a car mounted on a roof rack but this could quite happily sit on the roll bar looking like a pair of skies, the bike would mount with the wheel down by the back of the car by the side of the spare wheel pionting upwards, the fork is clamped into the rack giving it stability and then the front wheel would have to go somewhere else like the boot space.

part no is 511 on www.thule.com