Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car bogs down when pulling away

BlueShark

My 2l Vx, basically an unmodified HPC with 45s, runs reasonably well otherwise, but I am having increasing and disconcerting problems pulling away from junctions, when the car often bogs down for severeal seconds. Of lesser importance is the fact that I can't get good figures from my AP22 for the same reason!

Is this a simple carb adjustment problem or something else? I am not a tech, but fortunately I don't live too far from Caterham Midlands, so if that's what's recommended, that's where I'll go.

Any advice grateful.

Andreas.

If it's getting worse and worse then it needs a tune up I would say. If it done many many miles jets do wear....

Are the plugs in good condition? NGK BCR8ES were recommended to me by RKE.

Does it still bog down if just before you pull away you give a good revving up, to say 4000 rpm (no worse than a static noise test...), and then gun it?

Mr Shark,

Do you have a straight cut gearbox?? With a 2.04 1st gear and a std (ish) engine, the sweet spot will be very narrow and hard to hit. It'll either bog down, or give massive wheelspin.

Generally, if it bogs down you need more revs.

What happens if you side step the clutch at 6000rpm - if it bogs down then, then something is wrong.

Rgerading acclerometers, don't expect to match the manufacturers figures without being on a good sound asphalt surface with sticky warm tyres at optimum pressures. If you can get within 1 sec you're doing alright! - You will get a 1 sec deviation run to run aunless you practise a fair bit. Lots of practise means you'll porbably break the car! Vicious circle!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

It is likely to be a carburettor problem - balance, idle mixture, pump jet function, etc. The fact that it is getting worse suggests that something is getting further and further out of adjustment.

Can't guarantee it's the carbs, but it's the first thing I would look at.

The increasing element could also be clutch related..... (glazed?)

With 6krpm it should easily break traction. If it doesn't and the clutch does not slip, its almost certainly an engine issue.

Do you know what size chokes are in the carbs?? Over 36mm is undesirable if you want drivability, over 38mm will give big off cam effect at lower (below 4 or 5k) rpm.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 21 Apr 2002 23:43:13

Edited by - fat arnie on 21 Apr 2002 23:46:21