Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brise axial starter clearance

wag

My 1600 sl with Powerspeed 4-2-1 exhaust has irrevocably cooked the Magneton starter. I understand there is a very nice Brise axial starter which should be more durable but it fouls some exhausts. Will it fit wth mine?

Hi wag,

I'm not sure sure what the difference is between the Powerspeed 4-2-1 exhaust and mine is (mine's the standard Caterham SLR 4-2-1 manifold?) but mine definately clears (just)

If it's any help, I can get some measurements of the starter against the K-series and let you know what they are. If I can get you the starter length, width and distance from the block wall, it may be useful (assuming no-one else can say definitively)

If you go for it, I'd recommend considering lagging the exhaust or wrapping the terminals at the end of the starter in some heat-resistant material, since the tolerance is quite tight. I had considered a heat shield but to be honest all that's likey to do is bridge the gap that's there 😬

Edited to say - BTW, I considered the Brise when I was looking at Axial starter motors but ended up getting it from CC since it was a fair bit cheaper. Seems to be a VERY similar unit (although I haven't seen them side by side). Although mine's fitted, i haven't had a chance to use it yet as the engine's not quite back together.

Edited by - k80rum on 10 Jul 2007 14:45:47