Click here if you are having website access problems ×

best road tyre in 13"

eric

It comes down to budget, mileage and if you drive in the wet.

CR500 - Good all round tyre but expensive, low profile so not the best ride on poor road surfaces

Yoko 21R - A good general use including the wet and cheaper than CR500's

Toyo 888's - Half the price of CR500's, better ride as available in 60 profile, not as good for standing water.

Hankook ventus - No knowledge of this tyre

Yoko 48R - More expensive than the Toyo but still cheaper than the CR500's. Stiff sidewall makes the ride on poor road surfaces uncomfortable, not good in standing water.

Do a search on each tyre and you will find loads of info. I use Toyo 888's on my R500 and I am very pleased with them.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Support Team

In my opinion CR500. It is much lighter than any of the others and the sidewalls are more compliant - this leads to a very good ride. They do not tramline like A048Rs. Dry grip is ample for road use and wet grip as good if not better than any of the others.

If price is a consideration then I guess I would go for R888s or A021Rs.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I have R888s and racing wing stays - no problems at all. As for wet performance, I was really impressed during a soaking wet day at Prescott compared to 032s and 048s. Can't comment on the Avon tyres though. Fitted and balanced price for R888s knocks the socks off A048s if you shop around (check their web site) even compared with Polley's free delivery on 4pcs or more.

I ran Hankook Ventus on the first circuit of Le Sept (Ledenon). They were very good but lost grip (a little) when they overheated (I was pushing them VERY hard though and the weather was hot). I also used them in the morning at Pau Arnos in the wet (no standing water of any magnitude) and I would say they were excellent. I'm impressed with them .....

They were good in the damp at Cadwell also.

Ex Chairman Roger