Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Goodyear F1 tyres....goodish, baddish, or indifferent?

Unclefester

They are fantastic..........................

..on a Volvo. 😬 They came out top in an Autocar test for road tyres 2 years ago and they have transformed my Volvo S60 but they don't compare to the normal, performance 7 tyres like Toyos etc, there was a separate test for track day tyres. I suspect they are quite expensive compared to the usual suspects

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Mark has clearly run a 7 on them....just as I did. As he says, way too hard for a 7 - I couldn't get any heat into them. Fab tyre on most other cars though - not sure about an Elise though...they seem to also be very sensitive to tyre types

I put them on my old 7 as a replacement for the Pileups. I had 16" wheels so the usual Yoko's were out of the equation. I found them significantly better then the pileups but now use the Stunner Scudo's which are another move forwards, and a lot cheaper *thumbup*

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

My car has the 16" wheels fitted, so haven't tried the stickier things that can be fitted to the smaller wheels, but have run both F1's and Toyo T1S, and T1R's on me 7. Always preffered the F1's, which to me seemed to have a softer tread, but a stiffer side wall than the Toyos, better in the wet too. As said, perform better on a weightier car, and were outstanding on the Impreza.

I have them on my Mk4 Golf and they are great, and great in the damp/wet, they are the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 apparently the compound can get very sticky and wear quickly in the summer. There mainly designed for saloons & coupe's so not surprised there a little too hard for an Elise, let alone a 7. If you have a heavyweight hatchback or small - mid size saloon (3 series, 5 series) you couldn't go wrong. I think they have BSW versions with slightly thicker sidewalls for heavier cars, so if you get them for a lightish car make sure they are the non-BSW.

Review here from a couple of years ago.

Thanks for input, all!

Too late to change them so I'll just see how they feel on the two trackdays, Saturday at Pau-Arnos, Sunday at Nogaro.....I'd have preferred the Yoko AO38s which were made for the Elise, but as the F1s only have 4K miles on them, ......etc etc.

So I'll be pussyfooting around, checking tyre temperatures and generally being a bit of a wuss, as usual.

I don't intend to thrash the thing as it has no oil cooler (a very useful thing on a 200bhp Elise) or remote thermostat, both on order but even if they do arrive tomorrow I doubt I'll have time to fit them.....so there's the excuse I need to drive like a funeral director and annoy everyone else! *thumbup* *smokin*

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*