Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure - Anything to Worry About?

Northern Banana

I run a 1.6k Superlight which has a anti-cavitation tank fitted as standard. My concern is that at a hot idle it is reading less than 2 bar of oil pressure. When revved this rises to just under 4 bar. Is this normal or does it need some attention? I was wondering if because of the anti-cav tank whether you need to over fill the engine with oil, above the normal dipstick mark.

I have just changed the oil and it took approx. 5 litres to the dipstick level.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.

If the oil is good and hot (i.e. after a hard thrash on a warm day) then those figures are fine. What sort/grade of oil are you using?

I don't know what the oil capacity is with the Apollo fitted, but you should be checking the level with the engine running.

Mike

I have just been speaking to Hyperion about fitting the Apollo to my 1.6K SS. I think they said it takes 6 litres of oil instead of the standard 4.

The bit I did listen to was £184.40 + fitting.

I've just fitted an anti-cav tank, and the instructions for checking the oil are to run the engine for 2 minutes, switch off, wait 30 seconds, then dip. It claims any other method will produce an incorrect reading.

Since I don't see how having an anti-cav tank changes anything, I have ignored this and still check with the engine running as per Caterhams usual advice. It does swallow oil, probably close to 7 litres if you fill with the engine running.

Cheers,

Jon (after cocking up his first posting :-)

Edited by - jonhill on 26 Jul 2000 23:43:42

Paul, I also have a 1.6 superlight with anti-cav tank fitted and mine does the same just under 2 bar at tickover when warm but bring the revs up and it will sit between 3&4

I don,t think there is anything wrong with this.

Keith Pickering

superlight T7 KCP