Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall Starter

Mick Burrell

Lots of posts about K series 'click of death' but is it the same starter as used on a 2.0l Vauxhall? If I turn the key it sometimes starts, sometimes takes five or six goes with just a click before it eventually turns. New battery hasn't cured it (old one needed replacing anyway!)

Is it possible to take the solenoid apart? Is there anything else that could be cleaned?

It sin't the same unit as the K series and its mounted on the opposite side to the exhaust so it doesn't get cooked as with the K. Before you take it out I would check the alternator connection are clean and fully home.

The Vx has a main feed from the battery via the alternator which has been known to cause problems. If you have no other issues such as occaisional misfiring or cutting out, this may not be it but it is an easy check.

I used to have some random starter issues but they went away when I wired the alternator more conventionally.

Next step would be to remove and clean the solenoid internally.

Barry

Mick,

I had a random problem with starting that I eventually traced to a loose (white if yours is the same loom) wire from the starter relay. It looked fine but the clip had all but lost contact with the spade on the relay. Depending on how bumpy the road had been before I parked up (and therefore how close the wire end and the spade were in contact) would determine whether the car started.

Drove me nuts before I found it.