Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SAFETY ISSUE - potential front suspension failure - Rose Jointed Dampers

EFA

Pierre,

Caterham do not fit rose jointed dampers - so no.

Gramey - good theory - anyone else subscribe to this??

Coose - a 3/8 bolt is difficult to implement. I'll look at doing it at the 2003/4 rebuild. (that'll be 6 years without a respray - a record for me!)

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie, I am just about to fit a rose jointed damper set up and am keen to understand the detail of yours. Does the rose joint simply sit in the middle of the lower mounting bolt albeit kept central by spacers/washers? If this is the case I could understand the problem you have experienced since this concentrates the load over a narrow contact patch in the middle (weakest point) of the bolt, and at 5/16 its the smallest in the whole front suspension. If on the other hand the rose joint end is mounted on a sleeve which covers the whole width of the bolt then surely the load will be borne, as it is in the standard mounting, by the entire bolt span including the shoulders nearest the wishbone arms where it has most support. In the latter case surely the only comparable weakness is as a result of the loss of insulation provided by the alternative rubber bush which is not too great?

Hi gramey

I think that if you did use a softer bolt and it bent even just a little it would be a real pig to get out.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BDX with Brooklands and Clamshell wings Q 979 CGY