Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SAFETY ISSUE - potential front suspension failure - Rose Jointed Dampers

EFA

Today I found one of the allen bolts which pass through the lower damper mounting on the front wishbone had snapped.

Over half of the bolt had dropped out, and it was sheer luck the partial failure was spotted during some other fine tuning of my suspension. - A total failure would without any doubt have resulted in collapse of the nearside front suspension with obvious consequences.

I sugggest you check you can see the heads of these two bolts (one on each side of the car) to be sure things are OK. If things are wrong the head and a couple of inches of bolt shank will have dropped out!

I should point out that I have probably increased the risk of failure by using rose jointed dampers which do not spread the damper load across the full width of the aluminium spacer which fits inside the damper bush, so if you run O/E dampers you will very likley not be at risk, but many of you I know also use rose jointed damper setups, so if your car falls into that category its especially important to check!

The bolt which failed was new in Feb 1999.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

3/16" = 4.8mm..... Surely shome mishtake???

As Mike said, I would fit a rose-joint with a larger i.d. and thus a bush to suit, going up to a 12mm dia bolt...

Also, check the grade of bolt - these MUST be high tensile (can't remember the correct designation...)

Cooooose

I thought it was 5/16th in old money.

Anyway, I wondered if the constant hammering of the rose joint on the bolt has caused stress related fracture(s) which has become a catastrophic failure. The standard bushes (being isolators) almost certainly protect the fixing from any such shock loads. There is of course the chance of a faulty bolt. Unbrako?

As an afterthought, perhaps a 3/8" fixing would be more appropriate and do renew all the other fixings as I am sure you will.

Steve B

Increasing the diameter of the bolts will undoubtedly increase the bolt head size, and thus will probably mean attacking your chassis with a drill, and possibly even mean the manufacture and installation of new mounts. But, after one has snapped already do you really want to take the risk of this happening whilst at full chat? I would certainly recommend going up to 10mm dia whilst still using a bush setup, possibly steel but a decent quality dural would probably suffice. Also, make sure that the bolt is of a higher grade than the standard 8.8, 10.8 being the norm for disc mounting...

All suspension mounting bolts on my Striker are 12mm dia. and that is how they'll stay!

Obviously, the choice is yours but I'd hate to say I told you so...

Coose Ieng AMIIE BBC ITV 32DD

You should be able to get 5/16" bolts in 12.9 from Unbrako / SPS. I would not use 8.8 in this application. 10.9 are a bit of an odd ball, I haven't come across them that often. Most shock bolts are 1/2" or 12 mm.

AMMO

I have just ordered Avo spherical bearing rear shocks (the spherical bearing is at the lower end to go onto the live axle)...and am now a bit worried. The bolt on a live axle holds the arms to the chasis from the diff as well as the damper. Not sure what size the bolt is, but it is big..I wasn't planning on using a bush insert as it would mean using a smaller bolt which then wouldn't fit the rest of the parts.

Do I need bush inserts?

Arnie..glad you posted this thread, if everyone on the site takes 2 mins to look at these critical bolts we would all be a bit safer!

Robster

Robster,

The rear bolts are 1/2" dia I think so you will not have a problem. The bolts on the front wishbone of a car without trunnions are much smaller!

AMMO, I will be seeking some 12.9 bolts and will post here when I find them.....

Umbrako do not have a 12.9 2 3/4 x 5/16 UNF - Its an odd size for a caphead!

Fat Arn

Arnie

When I had my workshop in Surbiton I used to use a little shop called Jones Industrial Fasteners. Run by husband and wife team. Very helpful. Managed to get most things I needed. Don't know if they are still there. Number was 0181 390 4818.

AMMO

Arnie,

If you call Bob Beale at Cromwell Tools on 024 76664614 I think you may well find your bolts. 3" are easier to source but 2 3/4" should not present a problem. Unbrako capheads are all 12.9 grade.

Just refer to his recent conversation with Steve Bourne.

Steve B

Unbrako only go to 2.5" in 12.9

They can do a US spec 1960 which is similar strength and these are £140 per box of 100.

I'm trying to get the spec of the std bolt from Caterham at the moment, then I'll be trying to find 49 other people with the same problem!

Fat Arn

Hi Arnie

Well having just ordered some it does give me a few concerns.

See my posting under "new shockers" on this list. Another place I buy bolts from is Capital Supplies in Croydon its small but very helpful 0208 665 5520.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BDX with Brooklands and Clamshell wings Q 979 CGY

It's obvious - go up to 3/8"! Do you want to die???? eek.gif

It may mean chassis mods, but surely its gotta hurt more next time they break when you're diving into the hairpin at Cadwell? I know what I'd rather do....

May be a stupid observation, but I wonder if a 12.9 is too brittle to take the shock loads using a Rose joint. I suspect it's not a load problem, but the higher grade the bolt, the more brittle they are. I would experiment with a lower grade bolt as the shear load capability of a lower grade bolt would probably far exceed the loads it is taking. Any metalurgists out there to call bull***?

George