Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer/tie down points

TomGaval

Tom, Not really, The towing eyes are just for that towing and recovery. I tend to take a belt and braces approach to this and consider the shock loadings that can happen if you were to have a minor accident when towing. Personally I would at least put ropes or straps around the wheels as well

We recently invested in a set of wheel straps which are far quicker, easier (and much cleaner) thumbsup.gif Brian James Trailers supply them. This fixing puts no strain on commonly used anchoring points such as suspension and is recommended by BJ as the superior method of securing the car smile.gif

FH

You should avoid strapping the car down on the suspension , picture waht happens when the car is bobbing up and down on the trailer - the straps are going slack / tight .

Machine Mart or similar shops sell proper rachet wheel straps for about £15 per corner .

Dave

That's what I meant to say blush.gif

I must make my postings clearer...I must make my postings clearer...I must make my postings clearer...I must make my postings clearer...I must make my postings clearer...I must make my postings clearer...I must make my postings clearer... I must make my postings clearer...

FH wink.gif

Edited by - fullharness on 21 Apr 2002 11:09:29

Fully endorse that. I use BJT ratchet wheel straps (light duty ones from BJT are fine for a 7, think they are about £25 ea). They are quick and easy to fit and tighten and hold the car securely. I have the wheel stops at the front of my trailer and a winch so I attach the winch to the front towing eye and just gently tension the car against the stops as well.

Have seen people threading straps through the wheel spokes which is effective but not quick or easy.

M

Thank, for the replys. By wheel straps do you mean those that fit around the tire. If so, that would work for the front with my front wings, but I doubt it would work on the rear, or do you mean straps that actually thread thru the wheels? Tom

Wheel ties go behind the wheel with a connecting strap around the front.

You need to place the strap around the back of the wheel and then postion the front connecting strap in such a way that when you tighten the strap the tie does does make contact with either the wheel arch or exhaust (side exhaust)

I tend to use the winch at the front and two wheel straps at the rear. (With Minno shuttle access to the front is not easy!)

Have fun ... best of luck

the not so light Superlight

Edited by - K16 TOY on 21 Apr 2002 17:17:05

Edited by - K16 TOY on 21 Apr 2002 17:18:07