Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Pads

serimmer

Have trouble with the rear wheels of my 1.6k series locking up before the front. Almost failed the SVA test because of this, but after three attempts the inspector let me through.I thought the situation may have resolved after a few miles and the pads bedding in, however after one or two heavy breaking episodes on the road the situation has not improved. I seem to remember seeing a thread where the 2001 academy people had had the same trouble. Wonder if there is an upgrade for the front pads that will be a cheap fix? I currently have the standard brakes.

X5 SER

Which front and rear pad material are you running ? This will be written on the edge of the pad material . Basically the rear caliper piston size is not exactly ideal ( too big ) , particularly when you are using the std front brakes .

You need to fit a rear material with a lower friction co efficient to achieve a better balance .

Once you find out what the friction materials you are using let me know .

If you can't achieve and acceptable balance by playing around with the pad materials then you should fit aa adjustable balance valve ( talk to John Freeth at Performance braking 01600 713117 )

I've fitted a reducing valve in the line to the rear brakes to cure the same problem. Valve cost £50ish, a lot cheaper than a big brake kit! A lot of standard all disk braked 7's seem to have this problem, can't understand why Caterham don't sort itconfused.gif

Dedion 2Ltr Zetec

The one I fitted was an Aldon, which I think is a modified Mini valve. Cost me £46+VAT from Deamon thieves 'cos I was too idle to go rumaging around scrap yards! I've fitted it so the adjuster pokes through the bulkhead so I can adjust from the drivers seat. It works really wellthumbsup.gif

Dedion 2Ltr Zetec

The race master cylinder has no bias built into it so it wont make any difference to the balance . This is a common mis conception but since the piston diameters in both the primary and secondary chamber are the same diameter the pressures in the frt and rr circuit will be the same . What may be different is the available fliud displacement from each circuit which is nothing to do with pressure .

The race cylinder is a larger diameter so this means the pedal travel will be shorter but pedal effort will be higher . I run uprated fronts with std rears and std master cylinder with no problems . Save your money .

If you want to give me a call my mobile is 07785 287712 . I work for Girling as was so all this is up my street .