Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T NAS drives

Griff

I'm looking for a NAS drive for home use for storage and backups. I'm told a lot of the cheaper ones, despite their large disk size, are formatted in FAT32 and don't take kindly to reformatting to NTFS (lose their NAS capabilities etc). Has anyone got a NAS at home running an NTFS file system? Recommendations or "must avoid" appreciated...

Cheers,

Mike

I have the Netgear SC101 which I'm very happy with now I have the latest drivers etc. It has its own file system and each pc that uses the drive required software installing. The drive is then seen as a local drive. It can have two drives installed (any size) and does mirroring so all you data is backed up etc.

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport here

Edited by - Gareth Harrold on 4 Jul 2007 19:45:37

I prefered the Linksys NSLU2 over Netgear one, simply as the NSLU2 uses standard protocol (SMB/CIFS over TCP/IP) and doesn't require specific drivers installed on the client machines - thus it can be used by any OS that supports the protocol (eh which is just about all nowadays). Another plus, if you're so inclined, is that it can be hacked to run Linux.....

Dave

NAS taking SATA. Not sure how much.

Alternatively you can build your own. e.g. a mini itx case, mother board and a couple of drives, running Linux. Small, low power consumption, runs which ever protocols you want.

Dave

Edited by - davef on 4 Jul 2007 21:03:36

If you're enough of a techie and can handle Solaris running Samba, take a cheapo box and run ZFS as the file system. Unburstable; will remain consistent even if the box powers off during I/O, and if you run RAID-Z on two or more disks you can even destroy a disk without data loss. *thumbup*

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS

Thanks Alex - my techie abilities with computers stretch to basic networking with Windows. I might manage the odd firmware upgrade but the rest is another language I leave to others *confused*

The Netgear is running z-san (the protocol) and z-fs (the filesystem) from zetera; it's a proprietary and different file system from Sun's ZFS. As confusing as owning a 7. 😬

ZFS (SUN's fs) is much better than any other solution out there for home use. For instance, Mac OSX is due to have ZFS as its default file system. Described here for the propeller heads. But, if you don't want to run Solaris or a Mac, a bit difficult...

NAS running NTFS drives (to answer your original question) is not common for home use, as it normally needs a Windows box to support the drives in that format (NTFS is Microsoft's proprietary), and to be quite honest, Windows/NTFS isn't really that great a combination for home use; do you really want to pay for and run what is effectively a server just to get some Windows file shares?

I'd go down the route of the Netgear or somesuch if your tech ability is low; but be aware of the limitations; read the reviews like this one. They're not really NAS boxes, btw, more like mini-SANs as most of them present what look like drives to your system, rather than file shares. Not all of them like all drives either, so check before you buy what drives you are going pop into these boxes.

Disclaimer; I work in the storage industry.

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS

How about one of these Charles? here

I've just built a HTPC round one, and with an upgraded CPU cooler it really isn't noticably loud, and looks like a bit of hifi gear. Only snag I've found is that the mobo I chose puts the CPU very close to the case side, so the upgraded cooler clashed with the exhaust fan.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

I probably need about 1Tb right now, but I want the scope to expand. RAID isn't of amazing interest but a chassis with two drives limits the scope for upgrades etc. Four drives makes things a lot more flexible. I already have ~800Gb of data (yes, a lot of race videos!)

I'd actually prefer to buy chassis only and add my own drives - and the one I linked to offers that.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary