Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600 XFlow fuel questions

Dirty Den

Hi all -

I pick up my Seven this afternoon and I can't wait! For some reason I woke up early today - can't imagine why - and I'm definitely NOTid=red> a mornings person wink.gif

Anyway, I've read a few threads/been told that I should not run my XFlow on LRP, as it is not designed for engines under load or stress. I was told to use normal unleaded (I guess 95 RON, not Super) and use a fuel additive when I fill up.

Is this correct - and I guess my main question - can anyone recommend a fuel additive that I'll be able to pick up in the local Halfords/Les Smith - I want to get some driving done this weekend teeth.gif

Given that this is a completely standard XFlow that has done almost 9000 miles - is it likely that the previous owner will have done any damage by using LRP?

Thanks in advance -

Den

Caterham's handbook for the 1600 Crossflow suggests that it was OK to use unleaded but to fill with leaded petrol on every fourth or fifth fill up. That was back in 1996 when leaded petrol was still available. I always only used leaded petrol when it was still available. Once leaded disappeared however, I started using unleaded together with Castrol's additive. However, at the next service (March 2000), I had a proper unleaded head fitted.

I've just had a quick rumage in my garage. I knew I had a half used bottle of additive still around (as you can see, I'm a bit of a hoarder - I'm sure it's well past its use by date now). The product is called Castrol Valvemaster Plus (I think it was also available in lower grade form as Castrol Valvemaster). The bottle is about nine inches tall in semi-opaque plastic with a green plastic child proof lid. The price sticker says £9.99 for 250ml. 10ml treats 10 litres of unleaded. The product is phosphorous based and can be picked up in Halfords and Les Smiths.

The main rule that should be followed when using an additive is to select one and then stick to it. Mixing diffrent manufacturers' products could negate the beneficial effects. However, one risk is that there is no guarantee that an individual product will remain on the market in its original form (or even at all).

Just picked up Castrol Valvemaster from Halfrauds last week and the bottle seems to look about the same as described above. I think the valve master plus has a carb cleaner (detergent) included also.

I just got the standard valve master and then a big jar of redex injector cleaner.

Nick

Thanks for the replies guys - been to Halfords (advantages of having one a few minutes away) and picked up some of the Castrol Valvemaster stuff.

It was indeed £9.99, as looked exactly as described - thanks!

I looked at the Valvemaster and Valvemaster Plus - the only difference I could see was that the Valvemaster Plus also contains an octane booster - went with that one.

It's like being back at school - everytime you looked at the clock to see if it was 3:30 to go home, the clock seemed to slow down afterwards. I keep looking at my clock and 2:30 seems so far away... sad.gif

- Den

If you look in the back of Practical Classics magazine, you will find a list of petrol stations in the UK still legally allowed to sell leaded 4star. There may be one near you- I'm in Derbshire and there are three nearby.

Chris.

Mr Den - I see from a thread on "Chit Chat" that you might be a potential Phoenix Inn visitor. If so, I can let you have my aforementioned half empty (or half full - if you're an optimist) bottle of Castrol Valvemaster free gratis. (I was a Latin student once) I'll be there next Thursday evening. Look out for Q524 APN - a green and yellow Classic SE.

Edited by - Eric McLoughlin on 20 Apr 2002 18:30:58

Den,

I run my Xflow on LRP - it gets a good thrashing and up to now the valves are perfect. (Engine was out and head off only a couple of weeks ago so I had the opportunity to inspect them). Very occasionaly it gets real 4 star but only when I've done without food for a month wink.gif

Regards

Phil Owen.